Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Digital Photo and Video Storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Photo and Video Storage

We have 3 years of iPhone photos and videos of E, which is beginning to impact the performance of my laptop. A lot of files are still on my phone, but we have things on the laptop, on a flash drive, and on Shutterfly. I would love to put everything in one place, whether it be online or a device, and have it include videos, too.

What places and things have you used to store digital photos and videos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

We use 1) an external hard drive and 2) google drive (I pay for extra storage).

I only upload monthly so it's possibly I could lose a small amount of photos at any given moment but I'm protecting the majority of my pictures. I mostly trust google drive but I know that could be hacked which is why I have the external hard drive back up.

Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

No matter what you choose, I would start doing something ASAP. Even if it's just temporary, you want something. Google drive is really cheap - I have tons of large photo files (photography buff) so you might even be able to use google drive for free.

Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I have an Apple Time Capsule and we pay for the extra Apple/iCloud storage. Honestly I'm not 100% sure where and how everything is organized, but DH seems confident that we'd have all of our pictures if my laptop or his desktop crashed. 🤷🏼*♀️I really hope he's right.

Comment

You need to buy an external drive ASAP. I keep things there. I also try to burn a CD of them, though I am behind on that. ( My oldest used to do that for me.) I need to burn the movies and pictures from our last few mission trips.

Comment

DH handles this for us. After we made the mistake of not having our pictures backed up and a laptop issue (which cost us over a thousand dollars to Data Doctors to recover in med school), we bought a couple external hard drives and we also pay a couple dollars a month for extra iCloud storage.

Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

My burned dvd which I stored in the safe now won't play after 5 years. Good quality blanks too
              Using Tapatalk

Comment

I've used Sugar Sync for awhile, but I found that I couldn't reliably access it from my phone; it would often time out. I recently switched to iDrive, and I can get to my files now, but I've just stumbled on a glitch today that has me doubting them. It's frustrating. I just want something that works simply and behind the scenes! Is there an auto-sync option for Google Drive?

I also have an external hard drive that I only remember to use about twice a year.
                Laurie
                My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Originally posted by ladymoreta View Post
                  I've used Sugar Sync for awhile, but I found that I couldn't reliably access it from my phone; it would often time out. I recently switched to iDrive, and I can get to my files now, but I've just stumbled on a glitch today that has me doubting them. It's frustrating. I just want something that works simply and behind the scenes! Is there an auto-sync option for Google Drive?

I also have an external hard drive that I only remember to use about twice a year.
                  I really want a google drive auto-sync too. I wonder if it's available, we just don't know about it. Seems like a no brainer.

Comment

You can add computers to Google Drive now so that all the drives, or thise you select, will sync to cloud.

https://www.howtogeek.com/228989/how...gle-drive-app/

Sent from my Chromebook 14 (CB3-431) using Tapatalk
                    Using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by OrionGrad View Post
                      I have an Apple Time Capsule and we pay for the extra Apple/iCloud storage. Honestly I'm not 100% sure where and how everything is organized, but DH seems confident that we'd have all of our pictures if my laptop or his desktop crashed. 🤷🏼*♀️I really hope he's right.
                      So I've never really figured out how to use time capsule to create space. Back up, yeah... but like what happens if you have it backed up and then need to delete it to make space. Does it let you go back and just grab that one thing, or does it basically restore your computer to its status on that particular date?

Truthfully - gasp - I have used it since I started backing up to iCloud. (I have purchased lots of extra storage). I rarely have the opportunity to touch my computer these days... that should be on my to do list! I think my crazy huge backup drive may have been full and I was having some issue with a lost wedding planning file (got replaced with pics from someone's wedding somehow), and I remember that I wanted to try to recover it mainly for excel address file to use for Christmas cards... but then I got distracted. Shocking. Lol. I think I was afraid if I went back to get it, then I'd lose new stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by JDAZ11 View Post
                        So I've never really figured out how to use time capsule to create space. Back up, yeah... but like what happens if you have it backed up and then need to delete it to make space. Does it let you go back and just grab that one thing, or does it basically restore your computer to its status on that particular date?

Truthfully - gasp - I have used it since I started backing up to iCloud. (I have purchased lots of extra storage). I rarely have the opportunity to touch my computer these days... that should be on my to do list! I think my crazy huge backup drive may have been full and I was having some issue with a lost wedding planning file (got replaced with pics from someone's wedding somehow), and I remember that I wanted to try to recover it mainly for excel address file to use for Christmas cards... but then I got distracted. Shocking. Lol. I think I was afraid if I went back to get it, then I'd lose new stuff.

IIRC one time I was looking for a certain picture and I couldn't figure out where it went, so I went into the time capsule and chose a date when I KNEW where the image was (before it had been moved off the desktop) then once I found it I just dragged it or copied it onto my current desktop and that was it. From what I remember it was super easy, but honestly I've probably only used it once or twice the whole time we've had it.

Comment

Working...
                        X