Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Charlottesville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And to be clear, this week was the largest white supremacist gathering in decades.

Dh's aunt shared the Ivanka Trump tweet condemning racism in specific terms. I'm glad she did and another aunt thanked her for it.

I do think in times like this it's important to use your voice against hate and injustice but I'll admit most of my social media activity goes towards people who believe the same thing.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
      I particularly enjoy it when I can burst my liberal college friends bubbles about the "idiot evangelicals" by pointing out that I'm one. 🤣

You'd be surprised what people say when they think they're in completely like minded company. (Or rather, you might be displeased... unlikely surprised). And I've had it in BOTH "liberal" and "conservative" directions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Me too! I must admit I've learn to look forward to these opportunities.
      Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

I offered up the suggestion of them reaching out privately as an alternative to making a public statement (because these people are already politically engaged and paying attention to current events). I'm sorry that wasn't clear above.

However, I don't think it's a large leap for family and friends to acknowledge/denounce an event or group or thought system that is harmful to their loved ones and against values that they hold. To me that can be done without an apology or explanation. I agree it seems like it should be obvious, but after this weekend it seems like a lot of people were surprised to see friends, family, and coworkers out there. :/
        Damn, if that's the expectation, then thank goodness I've stayed out of the political stuff lately and stuck with pics of my kids in toilets. The list of things to denounce would be endless. Maybe that's why it seems like it is all some people post about.

It's Facebook, for heaven's sake.
        Last edited by SoonerTexan; 08-14-2017, 05:37 PM.
        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I did not ask for my friends and family to denounce every little thing.

This event is not a "little thing."

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

I think in some ways you're "damned if you do, damned if you don't". If you don't comment, people wonder why. If you do, people accuse you of not doing enough or only doing it for your own attention.

@ruffles have you thought about reaching out to them to dialog? They may be feeling pressure or stress on this issue that you're not aware of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
            Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I have. When I've discussed other terrorist attacks in the past with some of these peeps (whether I'm initiating or they are), it's devolved into blaming Islam, Muslims, and liberal America for not doing enough to combat "radicals" and a faith that they think oppresses women. It happens quickly and unexpectedly, so I've been waiting until I'm ready to handle that aspect of the convo if it heads in a similar direction.

Like I said above, I have no idea what could be a cause of the silence. Hopefully this time if I get the convo going we can mutually acknowledge the horror and maybe move towards talk about confronting it instead of things going sideways.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

I think if it's just too much effort for someone to consider denouncing literal fucking Nazis in some manner, they probably have bigger issues in life to ponder.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
                  I think if it's just too much effort for someone to consider denouncing literal fucking Nazis in some manner, they probably have bigger issues in life to ponder.
                  So true. You never know what someone is going through.
                  Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

It isn't too much effort, I just do not discuss politics, period. I only post on my feed about family ( sparingly) and our mission trip. That is it. I don't spend much time on it. I only follow my three children. I go to other people's pages maybe once every couple of weeks or so. I just do not have the time to spend on Facebook.

Comment

Working...
                    X