Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

New to iMSN, any advice welcome!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to iMSN, any advice welcome!

Hello everyone! I stumbled upon these forums during a google search for advice related to my current/future situation:

My girlfriend of 1 year is about to start dental school which is located 3 hours away (she's 26, I'm 30). I've done a little research on the rigors of the curriculum, and how demanding it will be. So far my understanding is it's two years of classes/exams mixed in with other post-grad students (med, vet, etc etc), and then two years of clinicals. She's already decided she's happy with her decision to not specialize beyond that due to the additional time commitment and cost.

We've had the discussion of an LDR for the four year term, and marriage in our future, and I'm looking for advice from others on what has worked best for couples to help us get through these four years. We both have the mindset that this is only temporary and not forever, and that in the end we want to be together. We've talked about the importance of communication, support, and understanding we'll need since our relationship will be making a temporary adjustment. I've made recent advancements in my career that have rooted me to where I currently live which means I can't move with her. I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing (other than the fact that we'll be commuting 3 hours to see each other, but it could always be worse and she could be much further away) considering she's going to be swamped with work. Our long-term game plan is for her to finish school, move back to where we both currently live (we both grew up in this state, and our families/friends are here), and us to get married and to start our lives together.

Again, any advice is greatly welcomed!

Thank you

Welcome! We did a LDR for a year before I "moved" in with him and commuted back to work. I spent 3 years doing 2 weeks away from home at the office and 2 weeks working from home. It was really, really hard. But like you said, we were both really busy and it made for fun visits!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Welcome! No advice on the LDR, though.
      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Welcome. I had the same commuting arrangement TulipsAndSunscreen described for my first year of marriage.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
        Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Welcome to the group.
          Luanne
          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Welcome! We've done long distance twice. The first time was when we were dating and then engaged, for about a year and a half while he got a master's degree at one school and I was working on my PhD at another. Then we got married and were together for a year and a half when he got into med school in another state, so he moved, and I waited another year and a half while I finished my PhD to join him. It was rough, especially back then before we all had FaceTime and everything, but it was doable. Having an end plan helps too.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
            Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Thank you everyone for the advice, keep it coming!

Comment

Working...
              X