Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

etiquette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• etiquette

Since I am new here, I just want to make sure I follow all etiquette of this group. Is there anything specific I need to know?

Thanks!

Hey, so thanks for asking!! For the most part we're a lot like other groups on the internet, and basic "netiquette" applies. Stuff like introducing yourself (thanks for that!) and getting to know people by reading conversations and letting us get to know you by joining conversations. But because we have this common thread of being related to people in medicine, and because many of us have been around long enough to know a lot of intimate detail about each other's lives, it's kind of a small world. We can be a little slow to warm up if folks feel like they aren't being genuine.

You already feel pretty genuine to me! Hope you stick around! We're not as chatty as we once were, and what talk there is sometimes drifts to the more-private boards -- it can be unsettling to know your conversations are being picked up by Google searches, if you have the option not to. But we do try to chat about benign things in open spaces, so please chime in there (Grand Rounds, Health, Parenting I think), and it won't be long at all before the admins have got you signed in to some of the rest of the board!
    Alison

Comment

[MENTION=5336]valerierd[/MENTION] I just wanted to echo what [MENTION=985]spotty_dog[/MENTION] said! I've enjoyed "getting to know" you so far. There's a lot more conversations on the private boards, and I hope you stick around long enough to get access. 😀

Comment

Be kind? Post often?
        In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Don't make assumptions about people, would be my suggestion. That's the quickest way to end up in an awkward situation here. We are all involved in the medical life--which is an important commonality--but we come from a diverse background of experiences. For example, we vary in socio-economic background, religious practices, political views, education levels, and enthusiasm about the medical life. We are different ages, races, nationalities and sexual orientations. We have different views on the hot topics of the day, such as globalism, the culture wars, climate problems, immigration, abortion, etc. Just about the time you are **certain** that this website attracts only people with "XYZ" point of view when you have "ABC" point of view, you'll run into someone else who also thinks "ABC" (or even "DEF"...so take that for predictability!).

All this to say: don't make assumptions and you'll do fine.

Comment

Thanks everyone! I'm looking forward to getting to know you all better and to share life's journey.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife View Post
              Don't make assumptions about people, would be my suggestion. That's the quickest way to end up in an awkward situation here. We are all involved in the medical life--which is an important commonality--but we come from a diverse background of experiences. For example, we vary in socio-economic background, religious practices, political views, education levels, and enthusiasm about the medical life. We are different ages, races, nationalities and sexual orientations. We have different views on the hot topics of the day, such as globalism, the culture wars, climate problems, immigration, abortion, etc. Just about the time you are **certain** that this website attracts only people with "XYZ" point of view when you have "ABC" point of view, you'll run into someone else who also thinks "ABC" (or even "DEF"...so take that for predictability!).

All this to say: don't make assumptions and you'll do fine.

Oh of course. I take pride in being open minded. Being different is the beauty of this world. You never know what shoes someone has been in.

One of my favorite things is to learn about how different people live. My husband teases me because I DVR old episodes of Wife Swap. Its kind of embarrassing to admit haha. I just love seeing how different people live and think. Of course they get people swapped that have such opposing views and lifestyles, and I'm sure its exaggerated. But I find it interesting.

I really don't like discussing "hot topics" too much, I am not one to argue or start a debate, so if these topics come up I'll probably shy away.

Comment

Working...
              X