Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Success

I'm weighing in at my dr's office now weekly for weight loss accountability. I had to skip week 1 but when I weighed in today (week 2) I lost 9 pounds. It's a pretty big accomplishment considering I sit at my desk all day and get little exercise. I was good about eating, but not perfect. So there is room to improve. We talked today about my foot and calf pain and the nurse is going to talk to the dr and get back to me. It may be from inactivity, but carrying the extra weight may have caused flat feet or other issues. A podiatrist may be in my future. For me, I'm buying a recumbent bike to use at home.

Yay.

Kris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Have you used a row machine? They're low impact, too, but it takes less time to get a good workout on them. I don't known if you're like me, but working out is not my favorite thing. I'd rather do it quickly and move on.

Comment

Well done!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
      Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
      Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Wow, I think getting into the doctor's office at all was a big coup, let alone weekly. I'm so glad it's paying off and that you're able to discuss some of the challenges you've noticed! You rock!!
        Alison

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
          Have you used a row machine? They're low impact, too, but it takes less time to get a good workout on them. I don't known if you're like me, but working out is not my favorite thing. I'd rather do it quickly and move on.
          Just popping on to say just this. I love mine, very quick full body workout that has cardio and strength training.
          Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
            I agree! And so great for the rarely used back muscles. Costco usually has some that look pretty awesome.

If you're going for a bike, I would splurge on a spin bike instead... of it were me, I'd do a peloton. But I think you can even hook a real bike up to one of those things that makes it stationary (bikers... help! No idea what that's called) and then subscribe. That way you could also use the bike outside... just a thought.

And be somewhat careful with the podiatrist. You may actually need them, but I had a lot of injections that I probably could have done without. None really helped all that much and apparently just not the first thing they should have tried (but I'm sure it was better for billing...). Get the night splint and try it for a little while you're waiting. (Cheap one was called the sock. There are nicer one though that look like they work way better). Also - when you do have a minute, start trying the basic foot strengthening exercises- scrunching the towel with your toes, I loved one where I put a quarter down under that Sesamoid knuckle thing (again can't remember name) and pushed into it while trying to lift my arch above a pencil.... bad description, but I found it on you tube and will take a look for it later.

I'd also think about your glutes. Try some squatting (no weight). I find that I get more calf pain when my glutes are being lazy. I'll try to find a video on good squat form too - not as easy to do it correctly as it would seem. some times it helps to start with wall sits. If your feet are about shoulder width and you place a ball or something between your knees and squeeze, you should activate some glutes. The other thing to do is stand in a doorway facing the frame, bend your leg at the knee and then press back on the frame with your foot, while also putting some pressure on the other side of the frame with your hands - gentle bend in supporting knee.

Comment

Just read a few things... definitely don't start with squats or lunges. Just do that isometric hold in the door and then work on "activating" you glutes my contracting them and holding for about 6-10 seconds and releasing, and then repeat. Even while sitting. Squats, lunges, wall sits, etc later once you get them working.

Comment

Working...
              X