Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

If you Got a Do Over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ladybug View Post
    Orthodontist. Great money, good hours and low risks. I preach it to my kids all the time.
    Haha, I'm constantly pitching the orthodontist idea to my kids too. They think I'm nuts, but seriously the hours rock! Nearly every dentist in my town only works M-Th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

And what is that?
      I'm not sure yet. I'm not committing to anything until all my children are in school and we are settled somewhere for attendinghood. Right now, they need my full attention and I need to not be committed to anything. I'm not sure how long I will feel like that, but I'm mulling what I might like to do eventually.

I might pick photography back up professionally. I've mulled getting a weather forecasting certificate online, but I'm not sure what I would do with it. Right now the idea of diving into some sort of volunteer or advocacy project is appealing. Maybe a little bit of everything. Maybe start a business at some point? Recently I thought about trying to focus on family/newborn photography (weddings are a nightmare I don't want to touch) and see if I could do volunteer work on the side providing free photography for foster care/womens shelters/crisis pregnancy centers. Basically kids and families that deserve that chance to have beautiful pictures, but cannot afford it. I have a standing policy of taking pics for any IMSN family that happens through my area I'm a little rusty, but it makes me happy to give families like mine the chance at a nice portrait.

Honestly, I'm going to be hard pressed to take on anything that doesn't allow me to be my own boss. Working in the corporate world has made me realize the importance of control over my time and work schedule--it is hard for me to imagine a situation where a set schedule is going to be worth the money. The other reality is that maintaining a household and caring for kids (especially the 4-5) I want to have, doesn't really become insignificant when school starts. My mother and MIL are a testament to that. I honestly enjoy the "homemaking" thing too, so I don't want to give it up. I'm just grateful my husband's career allows me to make these choices.
      Last edited by SoonerTexan; 02-11-2017, 11:06 AM.
      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Haha, I'm constantly pitching the orthodontist idea to my kids too. They think I'm nuts, but seriously the hours rock! Nearly every dentist in my town only works M-Th.
        I've heard this is changing, though. Dental practices are starting to consolidate and become more corporate too. Apparently the choice is to start right off the bat salaried (and lose the long term potential income and schedule benefits) or build your own practice like the good old days, but it is apparently becoming harder and harder to do.
        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I think I would have studied journalism or English/creative writing, but I likely would have ended up in a similar job anyway. It's more practical and I still get to write every day.
          Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

travel show host (See this amazing caribbean island...You should come do what I'm doing! It's amazing)
            heiress
            Goddess
            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I like the career I choose. Crna... good money, can work in different areas, hospital/out patient. I have the ability to work full time, part time and per diem. It's not the most exciting job in the world but I find it interesting. To me, a job will always be a job.

I always knew that I wanted to "have it all". Career and be a mommy. I never wanted to work full time, and I always told myself to never let myself be a SAHM. Hopefully in 10 years I will still be happy with my decision.

Comment

I lied. I think I would have fun as a graphic designer. I like my job better, but I still would love to learn how to make cooler graphics.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
                Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Sometimes I wish I'd done law enforcement or the military. I like order and a chain of command. Other times I wish I'd done graphic design as that would be helpful with what I'm doing now.

My husband says that I should have been a celebrity because I like waving my hand and having things done for me.
                  Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

I would have gone to medical school when I was accepted even though it might have meant not getting married at the time (though I can't imagine my life without Thomas and my family). I have regretted this choice my entire adult life and I've spent a lot of money chasing after second best only to be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I'm becoming a reading teacher for at risk children. I have something lined up for the fall. I was in a super swanky district and turned it down for the inner city. Yes, yes, please remind me of this folly at some point in the future. I feel drawn to work with this population at least for awhile. I didn't like the feeling of teaching, being a publicist for the parents, answering over-the-top ridiculous emails for parents, and generally all the craziness endemic to upper middle class parents.

The kids I work with now are....challenging. While some parents are definitely involved, it is very different. I'm not going to lie, I had a good long cry the first time I met these kids. Their needs and their level was alarming. While I'm volunteering right now, I was almost turned loose and told, "Go ahead and teach!" No administration plan for publicity and official parenting communications, a broad general pacing and curriculum guide, and kids who all receive free lunches and don't bring in school supplies, signed notes to return to school, and sometimes don't even bring in a $1 valentine kit o pass out on valentines day. I believe in this work at my core. I just hope I am strong enough. They are fantastic kids, though....really, truly amazing kids. We shall see. Buckle up.
                      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Honestly.... I'm pretty happy as a lawyer. I get to think and problem-solve for a living. In addition, I get to be on my feet, I do a variety of different kinds of work, I've met awesome friends in law school and in practice who are an invaluable network, and tbh I probably wouldn't have met my SO if i wasn't in law school at the time.

I also have the option to tone down my career in the future if I want to (by starting my own firm, working as a mediator, etc) while still keeping my foot in the door.

I'd recommend law to anyone (who actually wants to be a lawyer). Also, being in Canada helps.
                        Girlfriend to an EM PGY3. I'm also a lawyer.

Comment

I think I would be a Psychologists

Comment

Working...
                          X