Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Accountability Group 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had my fourth personal training session at CrossFit today. Last week I asked if I should do another week of Tues / Thurs personal training before starting classes and he said no let's get started on the group stuff. The only classes (besides 5:30am: NFW) that don't conflict with my teaching schedule are Wednesday evenings and Friday mornings. So I told him I'd do that plus Tuesday morning PT to make 3 workouts a week. He's certainly holding me to my word. This guy is a stereotypical Midwesterner. Big, tall, buff, and so kind and considerate it's almost awkward. He prepped me on the workout for class tomorrow. It involves jumping rope. That's just something I haven't done in awhile? We tried a few times. I'd get like 4 jumps in and then it'd get stuck on my neck. AWKWARD! The other thing I highly doubt I'll be able to do is crunches while hanging on a pull up bar. Anyway, I hope it's not too intimidating. DH said he'll go with me if he's home but I also want this to be my thing, my time. This kind of exercise is way more naturally suited for him than me. As much as I'd love an activity to do together I'm pretty sure he'd get into it and be leagues better than me from the start. It's one thing to do substitutions in a class and not feel lame. It's another to have to substitute jumping rope while you're husband is skipping circles around you. But I'm in it, and excited to start lifting heavy again with someone guiding me.

Comment

Great article

"Obesity-related mindsets are usually full of self-punishing beliefs
      that fit all too easily into this trap. The body is seen as an enemy; viewed like a machine – input and output – rather than a living being that needs care, nutrition, hydration and the joy of physical movement. The big difference between people in Crossfit whose bodies change and those whose don’t is their attitudes and beliefs about their bodies – whether they are to be cared for or whether they are to be beaten into submission."

https://www.boxrox.com/crossfit-obesity/

I asked my trainer if he'd take a look at a food log each week. Because he doesn't have training in that he's not interested. So I haven't been logging. I know that's where big changes happen but I've done it off and on for so many years I'm kind of food log fatigued. Need to figure out a healthy approach like going back to paleo that wouldn't require logging calories.

Comment

CrossFit update. I was visiting family last week but got back to it on Tuesday. Getting used to freestanding barbells (I'd always used safety machines like Smith). It's still strange when they're shaky but I'm still being conservative with weights until I'm confident with my form. I deadlifted 105lbs on Tuesday and did a barbell push press on my own in class yesterday. 5 sets at 65lbs. I was happy about it, one, because I don't think I'd ever done that exercise before, and two because we'd done dumbbell snatches the day before. Anyway, the members laugh at me when I say the classes are a lot of fun but IT IS!

I haven't weighed since before vacation but I'll start weighing again next week. I know the only way I'll lose weight is through diet but for the first time in years my appetite is suppressed after these workouts. yay

Comment

I am the proud new owner of a Fitbit Charge 2. Are the challenges still a thing?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Sweet! Let's do one next week

Originally posted by rufflesanddots View Post
            I am the proud new owner of a Fitbit Charge 2. Are the challenges still a thing?

Comment

Revive!
              I miss hearing about everyone's workouts!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
              Grace

Comment

I've been hitting the gym regularly for about 6-8 weeks. Lost about 4 pounds and DH says he can really see a difference! I feel healthier, too. So glad I've made this a habit again.

Comment

I started doing FitnessBlender videos, and I recently started their FB30 program, which is 8 weeks, 30 minutes or less, to lose weight, tone up, and build lean muscle. I'm enjoying it so far, at least as far as workouts go! I think I'm down about 5lbs since starting that and a diet 3 weeks ago.
                  Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Way to go, ladies! I still haven't weighed in months. I look trimmer to myself so I don't even really care if it's true or not. Still doing CrossFit 3x a week. I try to run or do light cardio 2-3x and yoga 1x a week as well. Trying to focus on filling my diet with nutrient dense foods, and was doing well only drinking wine a few days a week but that's out the window at least for a few more days.

BTW [MENTION=4468]rufflesanddots[/MENTION] you're fucking killing it on these challenges. My steppage has gone down way far now that I'm riding bike instead of walking. But it still motivates me to go do strict cardio when I'd otherwise lay in bed staring at Instagram.

Comment

Aw, thank you! I find them really motivating. I also love feeling stronger and more fit. I'm trying really hard to get into shape before the fall semester starts up so that maintenance is easier. I wasn't a fan of how crummy and tired I felt all last year, so I'm hoping this helps

Comment

Well, I was kind of thinking about doing a 10K in August. But with the kids off school, I haven't been able to get out for one single run. :\ So I guess that's out. I'm walking pretty regularly, and hiking about weekly, but on days DH works I only walk for as far as I can bribe the kids to do. (We have a couple routes we can do that total around 2 miles including stops at the ice cream store and library...) I love spending time with my kids but it's tough having them home, not gonna lie! Starting to wish I'd insisted on signing them up for at least one camp! At least they're going to "Camp Grandma" in early August I think.
                        Alison

Comment

[MENTION=985]spotty_dog[/MENTION] when my parents took us kids for walks or hikes we referred to them as forced marches haha!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                          Grace

Comment

LOL. We've got ours pretty well desensitized for hiking. What kills me though is that there will be fairly minimal complaining about 6.5 miles with over 2500 feet of elevation gain in the mountains...but I ask them to go with me to the Pokémon gym a mile away and they *moan* and *groan* about it. Boo.

I did just realize that I can still take them out to ride bikes while I run. They do like that, although I still can't usually keep them interested for more than 2 miles or so. Hm.
                            Alison

Comment

Putting the boys on their bikes and wearing E is pretty much the only way I can get any walking in anymore, but even then the boys won't go longer than a mile without complaining, so sometimes it doesn't even seem worth the effort. 😕 Really looking forward to school starting again in August!

Comment

After losing 30 lbs by this time last year, I hit a baddd plateau and stalled out. I'm trying Weight Watchers to try and get things going again, although I loathe their new program and the meetings are more depressing than anything else.

On the bright side, I'm still consistently working out and running--I think this has been the longest streak in my life at almost 2 years. Proof that exercise alone will not do it for weight loss, though.
                                Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Working...
                                X