Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Primary elections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primary elections

Do you vote in the primary (excluding the presidential primary?)

Honestly, I usually ignore the primary, except maybe for ballot measures. I even find it hard to do justice to the candidate races on a general election ballot -- if anything I vote the party line, and/or leave some spots blank. But because of the contentious political atmosphere these days, I'm feeling compelled to pay more attention to the primary election this time around. It kind of felt like a big undertaking to research all 17 elected positions on my ballot, what the job was and what the qualifications were of the people who wanted to do it. But I got through them all, and I feel like it's really going to make me a more informed voter come November. Look at me, adulting all over the place!

So…fess up. Do you usually participate in elections that aren't on Super Tuesday? Why or why not?
    Alison

I usually don't because I've moved around. I did in 2008 though. This year I did not because it was a closed primary, and I didn't register in time.
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I do. But I'm not always as informed as I should be. Usually there are a couple issues/candidates about which I'm knowledgeable and that will get me to the polls.
      Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Yes - I'm an all the time voter. I have worked on several issue campaigns now and consider local/state/national politics a sideline. I have started working with the LWV this year as well.

Angie
        Angie
        Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
        Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
          I do. But I'm not always as informed as I should be. Usually there are a couple issues/candidates about which I'm knowledgeable and that will get me to the polls.
          Honestly, if I had to get to the polls I am not sure I'd be voting. I came of age in a vote-by-mail state and thank goodness I live in one again. It was tough enough going down my ballot in front of my computer, researching each race and its candidates, and immediately marking the ones I preferred, with a deadline of "get the envelope to a place four blocks away within the next couple of weeks." If I had to anticipate who and what's on the ballot, THEN make a crib sheet, THEN get to some other location on a specific date and time…it probably wouldn't have happened. Especially without a single initiative or measure on the ballot.
          Alison

Comment

I love voting by mail for the same reasons. I feel like it gives me the ability to research things as I go through it. I always try to vote when given the opportunity but I will admit I've left some things blank when I felt like I didn't know enough to make a decision. When we were in Iowa we were their during two presidential election seasons and we were able to go to both a republican and democratic caucus. Those were cool experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Comment

I always vote!!!!
              Luanne
              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Because my state has an open, top-two primary, there is a good bit of…dross. In the 17 races on my ballot, there were over 90 candidates, affiliated with 13 different parties.
                Alison

Comment

Primary elections

Usually but only in the past few years. I waited in line with all 3 kids for this years hotly contested school bond issue and school board election though!

Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
                    Honestly, if I had to get to the polls I am not sure I'd be voting. I came of age in a vote-by-mail state and thank goodness I live in one again. It was tough enough going down my ballot in front of my computer, researching each race and its candidates, and immediately marking the ones I preferred, with a deadline of "get the envelope to a place four blocks away within the next couple of weeks." If I had to anticipate who and what's on the ballot, THEN make a crib sheet, THEN get to some other location on a specific date and time…it probably wouldn't have happened. Especially without a single initiative or measure on the ballot.
                    This is why I *love* Oregon - not only vote by mail, but also voter's pamphlet with most of the information you need about a candidate (though I think there were some candidates who missed deadlines for the primary or something; there were some that were on the ballot but just weren't in the booklet. I did have to look those ones up online). It's absolutely the best for measures; you can tell by who paid to put supporting/against statements in, and what those statements say, which way you should probably vote.
                    Sandy
                    Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

There are usually voter's guides but they seldom include candidates. This year all they offered was an online voter's guide, which I didn't find until I was done doing all my research on Ballotpedia. I totally agree that the voter's guide is crucial for ballot measures!
                      Alison

Comment

Even though I haven't actually voted Republican in a while I will vote in the Republican primary next week. Even though my kids aren't in the public schools our state is a mess bc of a lot of Republican politicians and our governor. I will vote against any Brownback-Republican that I can.

Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
                          Even though I haven't actually voted Republican in a while I will vote in the Republican primary next week. Even though my kids aren't in the public schools our state is a mess bc of a lot of Republican politicians and our governor. I will vote against any Brownback-Republican that I can.

There's a primary after the convention?

Comment

It's a state primary.

Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I don't know if you're still a voter here DD, but Washington's primary is August 2.

I meant to add that while voting in the primary seemed a little pointless, with only two candidates to choose from in some races (so they will automatically pass to the general), or ridiculous "protest" candidates on the ballot in other races (like the supreme court justice candidate who's been disbarred and can't actually serve), I found that doing the research helped me to feel in touch with who's in the race. When the general election comes, I'm going to have at least a little clue who it is in the race, who those names are on yard signs, etc. I think it was worth it for that.
                              Alison

Comment

Working...
                              X