Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Accent tile help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accent tile help

We are finally redoing the shower tile and floors in our master bath in September. The existing spray refinished tile is peeling like crazy and revealing the nasty, nastiness underneath.

At any rate, I know what I want, but I'm struggling with accent tile.

We are going for this general look: Subway tile and a medium to dark woodlook tile floor

This is the particular design I want to do:

Originally I was going to keep the quatrefoil tile, but do it all in white. But we will be selling this house in 4-7 years and I'm really afraid it is going to date quickly.

So now I'm trying to decide between the following choices (or something similar to one of the styles below). Whatever I use for the design in the shower I will also use on the shower floor. I already have the ceramic trim to go around the design:

So here is what I've come up with--thoughts?

Stick with the Moroccan look?

White hex tile?

This is a little bit more unique than the hex tile, but I think it will be pretty classic:

White penny tile? I worry about this because I've seen some bad penny tile installations where the gaps look awful

This is sort of a cool variation on the penny tile:

Or I could go for one of these marble looks. I'm not sure how it would look, though:

[MENTION=859]Vishenka69[/MENTION] [MENTION=1924]OrionGrad[/MENTION] ?
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

As long as you're going with white, I think you should choose whichever option you like best (including the quatrefoil). White is so classic that you can get away with a "trendier" shape IMO. I really like all of the tile options you posted. If it was my bathroom, I'd probably go with the second to last or the Moroccan.

Comment

Accent tile help

I like OG perspective. Personally I'm not sure I would do a different tile in the inset. I may run the subway a different direction in the inset like vertically.
      Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

What size subway tile are you using? I would stick to detail tile that is similarly sized, as in the example you posted. I would also be careful about putting a smooth tile on the floor of the shower, it'll be extremely slippery.

Comment

3x6 (the standard size)

Do you think smooth tile will be okay if it is small enough? I think my sister's shower has penny tile on the floor and it has enough traction, but I'm not sure about a hex tile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

You can get unglazed hex tile. It's more matted in appearance and is not slippery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
            Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

I like the unglazed idea. I would go to the store and lay hex next to subway tile. Make sure you like the actual look and not the idea of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

I need to buy this soon! We start in 2 weeks and I still cannot make up my mind.

Thoughts on this?

Comment

Accent tile help

What color grout, and how large is each square?

I like the basket weave, I'm just having trouble picturing how it would look when it's all done.

Comment

This pic above uses this mosiac and actually pretty accurately depicts what it would look like--I want to do edging similar to this around it. We will use plain, not beveled, subway tile, though. Each mosaic square is 12"x12"

As for grout, I'm leaning towards a light gray, like the photo below. Although that might look just awful with the mosaic. I wouldn't mind white, but that much white grout in a shower sounds like a cleaning nightmare.

Last edited by SoonerTexan; 08-17-2016, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Sorry if I'm being dense, but does the grout show in between all the small little tiles, or just in between each 12x12 square? If it's just around each large 12x12 square then I'd use white grout to make is less noticeable, otherwise I'd go with the light gray. I had white grout in my master bath in Portland and it was a pain.

Comment

It's between all the small little tiles. Good to know about the light grout

Comment

Oh ok, if it's in between all the small tiles then I love it!! I want to see pictures when it's done. ��

Comment

Accent tile help

This is what I ended up with. The wood look is for the floor. The shower will be the subway with a rectangle of hex accent bordered by the beaded. I could get a simple marble pencil edge and skip the beaded, but the beaded edge is non returnable and I'd have to eat the cost.

Construction starts Oct 3rd! In theory!

Last edited by SoonerTexan; 09-24-2016, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Awesome!!

Comment

Working...
                              X