Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Half marathon training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Half marathon training

Okay, I am feeling pretty good about my base mileage and fitness right now, and would like to start a focused training plan in a few weeks. In 2007 I used a marathon training plan from Dan Finanger. (I later downgraded to the half.) I liked how it mixed long runs, easy runs, tempo runs, and "quality" runs (intervals of whatever flavor you like.)

Anyone have a similar program for a half? Or general guidelines that worked for them?
    Alison

Can you PM me an email or way to share the word file program I used?
    Using Tapatalk

Comment

Sure, incoming.
      Alison

Comment

Yay!! Good luck! I used Hal Higdon's training plan: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51...aining-Program
        Laurie
        My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I had definitely looked at those, good to know someone found them useful!
          Alison

Comment

I've used Hal Higdon too. I find them to be ok. I think it's too much long slow mileage and not enough quality speed work. It's good for novices who need to mentally put in the mileage for training but I don't think it made me fast. I recommend Hal's plans for a novice but then move on if you want to PR subsequent races.

When marathon training (and to a lesser extent half training), I like to do 1-2 cross training days, one true speed work day (for example 30 second sprints with 30 seconds rest in between - work up to doing 10-12 in a row from 4), one true form day (run 200s at race pace with perfect form with 1-2 minutes in between), an interval day (2-7 miles alternating 20-30 secs faster than race pace and 20-30 seconds slower than race pace for each mile), and then one long run (Max of 10 miles for a half, 16 miles for a full marathon).

I find with a program like the above, I'm less injury prone and am faster because I've put in quality speed work instead of just long, slow mileage.
            Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
            Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Exact same thoughts on HH as T&S. I think he has a few plans geared towards intermediate and advanced runners, so you can sort of mix and match if you want, but it's more about getting used to running all the miles rather than speed work, intervals, etc. I think it's a great option if you're trying to get used to training for distance races. If you feel comfortable with your body and know when to respect and push your limits, adding in some more challenging workouts may be your best bet.

Comment

On the Hal Higdon programs, I was eyeing his Intermediate 2 plan, which has more speedwork and tempo built in. I read somewhere that the Kenyans train almost exclusively at a Tempo type steady pace. I do have more of a PR goal -- in fact, along with improving on my time from *cough* 2008, I also have the pipe dream of finishing in decent position among my age group. Maybe top half?

Thanks for your guidelines, super helpful!
                Alison

Comment

Originally posted by rufflesanddots View Post
                  Exact same thoughts on HH as T&S. I think he has a few plans geared towards intermediate and advanced runners, so you can sort of mix and match if you want, but it's more about getting used to running all the miles rather than speed work, intervals, etc. I think it's a great option if you're trying to get used to training for distance races. If you feel comfortable with your body and know when to respect and push your limits, adding in some more challenging workouts may be your best bet.
                  Um, how did I not know you're a runner???? Bull city race fest has a GREAT half in October. Just sayin...
                  Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I hung up my running shoes. I was never good, but really enjoyed it for several years--it's how I met DH! I keep trying to get back into it but it's brutal getting back into shape and dying over 3 miles when you used to bang out 10, you know? Ugh. :/

Comment

Annnd now I'm all over the Bull City Half website. Hm.

Comment

DOO EET. The struggling through three miles stuff passes remarkably fast the second (and third) times.
                        Alison

Comment

I am NOT a runner but my training plan (suggested by DH) was that I did 2 short runs (3-4 miles, usually Tuesday and Thursday) and one long run (on the weekend) a week. I started at 3 miles and increased my long run by a mile each week. It took me about 3 months to train because I gave myself a couple extra weeks of slack time. I think I also tapered down to 9 or 10 miles the weekend before the half marathon because I wanted to give my body a little rest.

I was only focused on finishing so I didn't worry about pace or speed work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Originally posted by rufflesanddots View Post
                            I hung up my running shoes. I was never good, but really enjoyed it for several years--it's how I met DH! I keep trying to get back into it but it's brutal getting back into shape and dying over 3 miles when you used to bang out 10, you know? Ugh. :/
                            Yeah I know. Remember I've had to do it each time post partum.

I'm just slower now, period. I have no time for speed work and I have to push a huge stroller when I run. The stroller trains your body to run a very slow cadence. It's very hard to improve your turnover when you get to run without a stroller maybe once a month.

I'm doing the bull city half with our nanny and maybe another friend in Oct. I'm going to aim to run 9:15-9:30s. I used to run sub 8:30s...times have changed. Do it with us!

Comment

Originally posted by MarissaNicole View Post
                              I am NOT a runner but my training plan (suggested by DH) was that I did 2 short runs (3-4 miles, usually Tuesday and Thursday) and one long run (on the weekend) a week. I started at 3 miles and increased my long run by a mile each week. It took me about 3 months to train because I gave myself a couple extra weeks of slack time. I think I also tapered down to 9 or 10 miles the weekend before the half marathon because I wanted to give my body a little rest.

I was only focused on finishing so I didn't worry about pace or speed work.

This is pretty much the plan the local running stores have people do. The short runs max out at 6 miles for the half group and I think 8 for marathon but I've never done it. The shorter runs also have a focus, like hills or speed work. It got me to a half in 2010.

Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Working...
                              X