Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

New kitchen table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New kitchen table

We just got this beauty today. It's solid walnut with a black stained base. Those are the old chairs so I'm looking for new ones. I didn't want to get similar chairs with the walnut seat as they kind of detract from the table.
    I'm thinking of going with black or white chairs although we could do grey.
    The kitchen cabinets are ivory colored. It's a well lit room with light green walls, some green/blue/grey accents and a darker wood floor.
    The floors look nice but the wood is so soft, DS's plastic toys falling on them leave a dent. Because of this, we will have to put an area rug under the table.
    So I'm looking for suggestions on rug/chair color combinations. Also, how big should a rug under a dining table be?
    TIA - looking forward to decorating!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MrsC; 07-30-2015, 08:28 AM.
    Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
    Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Beautiful table!! I would probably choose a sleek, straight, modern style of chairs in black to match the base. I think a rug should be large enough for all the chairs to sit on it when people are seated at the table (and when chairs are pulled out to sit down) so you never have issues with chair legs hanging off the carpeted area. I have no idea about rug style/colors...
    Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

Gorgeous table!! Get something washable under the table.
      Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Really pretty! No advice on a rug. My kids would destroy one in a month. Maybe a plastic office chair covering under your sons spot? Not pretty but functional

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I know, the thought of putting a rug under the table is killing me but he is destroying the floor. It's like cardboard, it marks so easily and it's only two years old. All of those marks are gouges.

I found some polypropylene rugs that might work. They're not the best looking but wipe off easily.
          http://www.overstock.com/#/9213530/product.html

You're right MsSB , I think a comtemporary black chair is the way to go. Now to find one...

Last edited by MrsC; 07-30-2015, 12:26 PM.

Comment

On my phone so I can't find it right now, but I know I've seen diagrams on Pinterest showing the right rug size for dining room tables.

(Also, I love that table!)

Comment

Not sure this will work if you go with modern black chairs, but I just bought this rug for my family room which is a similar color: http://www.potterybarn.com/m/product...sx=1.4789.4814

I figure it's busy and will hide stains relatively well...

Comment

Originally posted by OrionGrad View Post
                On my phone so I can't find it right now, but I know I've seen diagrams on Pinterest showing the right rug size for dining room tables.

(Also, I love that table!)
                I found them. Thanks!

I love that [MENTION=3775]JDAZ11[/MENTION]. Turquoise would be perfect.
                I do think a very modern rug would be too much because the rest of the room is a mixture of contemporary and traditional.

Comment

Yes, you definitely need a transitional style rug. Modern world go best with the table but you'll have to compromise to tie everything together better.
                  Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

Go with an indoor /outdoor rug under the table. It will definitely get dirty and you'll be so relieved when you can hose it off. They make some very nice ones. I even used an outdoor rug for my living room and you'd never know.
                    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

That is a gorgeous table!

Wife of a PGY-6
                      Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
                        Go with an indoor /outdoor rug under the table. It will definitely get dirty and you'll be so relieved when you can hose it off. They make some very nice ones. I even used an outdoor rug for my living room and you'd never know.
                        They are also usually much more reasonably priced!

But you can also just have Stanley steamer etc come out for a regular rug. Or get a little handheld steamer.

Comment

Originally posted by JDAZ11 View Post
                          They are also usually much more reasonably priced!

But you can also just have Stanley steamer etc come out for a regular rug. Or get a little handheld steamer.

Stanley Steamer/Sears Carpeting Cleaning/etc. are expensive and they won't come out just for the area rug. I love my indoor/outdoor living room rug. It's a massive 9'x12' and it's actually soft with a low pile. (This is mine: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JHF1WB0/..._dp_o_pC_S_ttl) When the kids spill on it, I just wash it with a damp microfiber rug and it's as good as new. Target usually has them on sale just after the school year starts -- after kids are done moving into the dorms. You can also get good deals on Overstock.com and amazon.com
                          Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
                            Stanley Steamer/Sears Carpeting Cleaning/etc. are expensive and they won't come out just for the area rug. I love my indoor/outdoor living room rug. It's a massive 9'x12' and it's actually soft with a low pile. (This is mine: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JHF1WB0/..._dp_o_pC_S_ttl) When the kids spill on it, I just wash it with a damp microfiber rug and it's as good as new. Target usually has them on sale just after the school year starts -- after kids are done moving into the dorms. You can also get good deals on Overstock.com and amazon.com
                            Thanks! I was going to ask which one you have. That's the brand I was looking at on overstock.

Comment

I do have a carpet steamer...it's been a great purchase. But it would be no match for constant toddler food spills on a normal carpet. I'd definitely get something built for hard wear

Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Working...
                              X