Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Parenting Book Recs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parenting Book Recs

DS1 has been being really rough with DS2 lately, like pushing him over and sometimes hitting Legos on his head. (It's gotten worse since DS2 started crawling.) DS1 isn't really doing it to be mean, per se, but he's an almost-3-year-old who just doesn't get it. We've tried talking about it, we've tried time outs ... nothing is working. Is there a parenting book I should check out to help me navigate this stuff? I'm sort of flying by the seat of my pants right now. I don't know if we've got a sibling rivalry issue, or just a normal toddler issue.

I really liked Love and Logic. It does address sibling rivalry although is not solely about that.

It's very simple and matter of fact which works for me because I'm prone to flying off the handle if pushed enough.
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I second Love and Logic. Be sure to get the one for preschoolers, since there's a version for older kids/teenagers as well.

I also really liked Anthony Wolf's Secret of Parenting, although a lot of the book is little stories, and I was kind of over them by the end. His strategy does work great.
      Laurie
      My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I also like Anthony Wolf, and his sibling-specific book "Mom, Jason's Breathing on Me" as well. I have been meaning to re-read Thomas Gordon's "Parent Effectiveness Training," but I don't remember how toddler-helpful it is. Actually at this stage, Harvey Karp's "Happiest Toddler" was still super useful I think. I also have Faber and Mazlish's "Siblings Without Rivalry".

My two were 27 months apart, and when DD started crawling was about the single most challenging phase of parenting them as siblings. In hindsight though, it was a phase that passed quickly, just putting out fires and trying to prevent them. Hang in there!
        Alison

Comment

There is one called The Science of Parenting that I really like. It focuses on developmental stages and emotional development. I've found it helpful in understanding and better dealing with emotional aspects...not sure about sibling stuff thoughl
          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Mine are both old school, but very comforting, balanced and sensible. The first is Penelope Leach's Your Baby and Child. The second is this one. The Mother's Almanac https://www.amazon.com/dp/0385468776..._t5AMvbMAJC61P. Both feel like you've got an older woman friend who's btdt and is there to help, not judge.
            Angie
            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
            Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
              Mine are both old school, but very comforting, balanced and sensible. The first is Penelope Leach's Your Baby and Child. The second is this one. The Mother's Almanac https://www.amazon.com/dp/0385468776..._t5AMvbMAJC61P. Both feel like you've got an older woman friend who's btdt and is there to help, not judge.
              Penelope Leach - Your Baby and Child is my go-to. Love her practical advice.
              Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

LOVE Penelope Leach! I miss her show a lot.

For your particular situation though I'm not sure a book is necessary. Like Spotty said, this phase goes fast. I just stuck close during these times and directed the interactions. Lots of, "that's not how we play, let mama show you. Now can you show me how to play with brother"? Lots of talking and assisting. Before you know it they'll be building forts together and conspiring against you
                Tara
                Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I also am a fan of Love and Logic but I'm not sure it will be particularly helpful for this situation.

Try and stay consistent and hang in there!

Wife of a PGY-6
                  Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Thanks guys! I bought the Anthony Wolf book and started reading it last night, and I'm really liking it so far. It's also helpful to hear that this is probably a passing phase. DS1 really isn't trying to be mean, he just doesn't realize how rough he's being. Hopefully the consistency on my end will pay off sooner or later.

Comment

Working...
                    X