Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Josh duggar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
    His religion (and the religion of anyone who believes in Jesus) would say that he is forgiven. Forgiven isn't the same as forgotten, brushed under the rug, or doesn't matter in this life. He's not saying anything inconsistent with other murderers or rapists who believe God forgives them. He's talking about his God forgiving him, nobody else has to.

He should have been removed from his victims and received appropriate counseling and obviously so should all of the girls. But I do know that this would be horrific as a parent to have to deal with. That's all I'm saying.
    I understand that. But the way it sounds when he says that... He thinks his forgiveness by God is all that matters... It completely discounts whether his victims or the justice system feel the same way. And that's offensive.
    Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

I am so disgusted by this. From what he did, to the way they handled it, to the blind faith that makes them believe God can cure him of it. I'm a Christian too and I believe there's a special place in hell for pedophiles and until they get there we should lock them up and throw away the key.
      It's been proven time and time again that they cannot be rehabilitated.
      Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
      Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

So what should we do with a 14 year old boy who does this? Again I want to reiterate that clearly enough was NOT done. I'm asking what should be done? Should we just murder 14 yo who do repugnant stuff?
        Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
        Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Well what would you do if someone did it to your daughters? You'd file charges and the offender would go into the juvenile justice system and probably get court mandated counseling. When a kid commits a serious crime it's not up to their parents alone to decide how to deal with it.
          Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

E, I'm not sure what the right answer is, but, removing him from the situation, getting him and the girls into intensive counseling, and getting off national television would have been a good start.
            Kris

Comment

Originally posted by MsSassyBaskets View Post
              Well what would you do if someone did it to your daughters? You'd file charges and the offender would go into the juvenile justice system and probably get court mandated counseling. When a kid commits a serious crime it's not up to their parents alone to decide how to deal with it.
              We do this!
              He'd probably get 5 years, get out on good behavior and do it again but that's the justice system for you. He still needs to have a record.
              I loathe acts like this but I don't believe in the death penalty for anyone. That's a whole other issue. Life in prison though, sure.
              I know 14/15 is young but he knew what he was doing, and to do it to 5 different girls over the course of two years...
              I hope someone is looking out for those kids.

Comment

He should have a record, be registered as a sex offender and anything else to protect others.
                Brandi
                Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Right but if these people "cannot be rehabilitated" then there's no point. Nothing we do will protect anyone.

Oh trust me, I would do all of the above if it were my daughters. But if it's your son, you'd have to believe he could be rehabilitated. I don't know how you deal if not.
                  Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I watched a documentary on it a while back that explored all of the various treatment options, chemical castration, therapy etc and the concensus was that nothing was very effective. Some who were very motivated to change were able to control their compulsions but they never went away. It's terrifying and the stats are worse than I thought http://yellodyno.com/Statistics/stat..._molester.html
                    I might not sleep tonight after reading that.
                    As a parent, I can't even begin to imagine. You can only try to do what's right.

Comment

Josh duggar

What do we do when our own older teens prey on and victimize younger, vulnerable kids repeatedly? We move heaven and earth to get EVERYONE into the appropriate therapeutic scenario. We make changes to remove the offender from the people they abused repeatedly. Our whole world changes on a fundamental level. We sure as fuck don't ship a kid off to be a manual laborer for some friend doing construction and hope that somehow magically fixes shit.

With the appropriate specialized therapists, sex offenders can actually have a decent response to therapy. The recidivism rates for sex offenders is high likely because there aren't a lot of counsellors specializing in this type of issue. Certainly not enough for how prevalent the issue is in our society. Also, this type of counseling is frequently voluntary for prisoners. They'll have a better chance of getting released from prison early for successfully completing it or be assigned a lower level after release from prison, but they can't be forced into participating if they really don't want to be involved.

The family's religion didn't make this assbag molest kids, but the culture surrounding it sure as hell facilitated his access to submissive victims.

Comment

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoy...ce-report.html

I agree with Diggitydot. This article is information and logical though it comes down a little hard on homeschooling. The Duggars didn't get proper counseling for him. While rehabilitation may be possible, they didn't take appropriate steps to rehabilitate him. Rather they continued to provide opportunities for further abuse. I highly doubt that this just stopped like they say. Their response was naieve at best and reckless.
                        Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I am disturbed by political candidates supporting him. One of the local state reps wants the police chief fired that handed over records even though a freedom of information act was requested.
                          Brandi
                          Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

I posed T&S's original question to DrK last night. He's worked in clinics that counsel juvenile sex offenders. He said that the offender needs to be removed from the home and shouldn't be around anyone who is less than two years older than himself. There should be individual psychological counseling for the offender and the victims. Also family counseling. The "counseling" obtained in this instance was woefully inadequate. He said that if it were our children (note we have sons 4 and 2.5 years older than our daughter so totally possible and sickening to consider ) he would remove the boy from our home for inpatient counseling. If we were aware that our son molested someone else's kid, we would have to inform the child's parents but DrK said he'd have the psychiatrists and a criminal defense attorney on board first. He'd fully expect prosecution and be prepared for the consequences.
                            Last edited by MrsK; 05-24-2015, 04:23 PM.
                            Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Interesting. Thanks for that perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
                                http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoy...ce-report.html

I agree with Diggitydot. This article is information and logical though it comes down a little hard on homeschooling. The Duggars didn't get proper counseling for him. While rehabilitation may be possible, they didn't take appropriate steps to rehabilitate him. Rather they continued to provide opportunities for further abuse. I highly doubt that this just stopped like they say. Their response was naieve at best and reckless.
                                This.

Comment

Working...
                                X