Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Jewelry help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jewelry help

So next year I turn 30, and I get to take ownership of the jewels that were part of my inheritance. There is a 6ct emerald diamond.
    5ct sapphire and a 8ct emerald

Clearly I cannot afford to have them all placed and set right now but we were going to do one. I envision a left hand ring with the diamond, a right ring with the sapphire and a necklace with the emerald. But I have no idea. Thoughts?
    Brandi
    Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

This is totally what my mom does.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

What kind of cut? Are you keeping them the same and just mounting them in something? And....you'll need a safe now!

I like your ideas, and I'd pick whatever type of jewelry I'd wear more as the first one to do. Ring? Necklace? Somehow, I feel like you'd wear a ring more often than a valuable necklace, but who knows? I only wear jeweled necklaces for more formal events, but I could wear a nice ring in less formal settings.

Obviously, it depends on the setting. I'm hard on jewelry so I probably worry more with the necklaces!

My mom is a totally jewelry addict and has a substantial collection of really good stuff. I'm her only female relative so she keeps telling me I'll have to step it up when she passes on and hands them down to me. I will need ideas! Or maybe I'll just pass it all directly to my daughter by then since she's better at jewelry than tomboy mom.

Angie
      Last edited by Sheherezade; 10-23-2014, 03:47 AM.
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I'm so not a jewelry person. I say sell one and go on multiple really nice vacations!
        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Jewelery help

I would do the diamond first in a platinum solitaire setting.

For the other two, I think it depends on the cut. But if it were me, I would do the two rings first.

And I agree about the safe! One of my friends has a 10 carat engagement ring (family ring) and she literally keeps it in a safety deposit box. I've only seen it at her engagement party and her wedding.

Comment

Oh they are currently in safety deposit boxes. There are so many jewels that my great great grandmother had. I don't feel like I can sell them or even break them. I feel like I need to keep them whole.
            I was thinking the diamond first, Ryan suggested taking the diamonds out of my ring and having a few bands around the large diamond and then a diamond band for my finger. Personally that sounds like a good way to get my finger cut off.

This was the style.
            Brandi
            Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

I like the pave diamonds. I think you could go without the halo on a ring that size. For the sapphire I would definitely do a halo though (depending on cut - but fit most).

Comment

Emerald I'd definitely have put into a necklace. They are much more delicate of a stone so having it safely on the neck is ideal.

I would have the emerald cut diamond set as minimally as possible. Emerald cuts stones are gorgeous and usually stones around them, no matter how perfectly cut, take away from their beauty.
                sigpic
                buckeye born, raised, and educated... thankfully, so is my wonderful med student husband...

Comment

Working...
                X