Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Sick Leave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sick Leave

My office is backwards (we are a NFP) and we submit PTO requests (vacay, sick, personal, etc.) on paper. I just put in for 1/2 sick day on Wed and another full day on 10/6. Both are baby-related appointments. I checked off what type of time I was taking and how much, and submitted it through the proper channels.

I got the requests back today and someone (most likely the nut's assistant) wrote in that I was taking my sick time for doctor's appointments. When I questioned her on it, she said that was what we were supposed to do. Bullshit. I've been here for 2.5 years and no one has corrected me when I've put in a sick time request. It is also not in our employee handbook that you have to specify why. And I believe it is an invasion of my privacy. It is NO ONE's business why I am taking my sick time! Especially me, of all people, after what I have been through. I saw other people's signed requests for sick time in their mailboxes this morning and no one had written down what they were taking their time for.

Even though I am excited about my appointments sometimes and people ask how my daughter is doing, I guess I need to stop being happy and sharing with people.

Anyone know who is in the right here? Do I have a right to be concerned about this "policy"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

I have never had to specify my reason for taking PTO. Ours literally just says "PTO" - they don't even differentiate between sick, personal, etc.

Comment

I don't think I ever had to specify a reason with HR, but usually my boss would ask me what I was doing before she approved it. For a lawyer, she was amazingly not in to following guidelines, and her comments often bordered on harassment.... So perhaps that job is t the best example!

I don't get pto now (I just work when I want, but get paid hourly), and the guy I work for is SUPER nosey about me saying I'm busy or can't meet/have something done a certain day. I HATE that I have to think of crazy excuses because when I have told the truth and said I was going to the doctor, he is always like "oh god, again, are you ok?" Which is nice and all, but not when it's because you're going to the RE.....

Comment

Isn't pregnancy protected by the ADA? Not sure, but I think it is.
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I feel like that would be an invasion of privacy. I haven't had to request time off with any of my jobs, but I'd be upset about it too. I'm also so thankful that my RE worked in my building while we were going through that, so I would just occasionally sneak out of the office and usually nobody noticed.
          Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

In my office (government, but exempt), we are supposed to specify our general reasons for using sick leave (out sick, dental appointment, child's appointment, etc). There's a list of acceptable reasons in the handbook, and they say they can require a doctor's note for use of sick leave for any absence of more than 3 consecutive days (but they never do). So that doesn't seem uncommon to me, I guess. We have a lot of blackouts for annual leave though, so that might make them a little stricter on sick leave.
            Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Originally posted by alotofyarn View Post
              I feel like that would be an invasion of privacy. I haven't had to request time off with any of my jobs, but I'd be upset about it too. I'm also so thankful that my RE worked in my building while we were going through that, so I would just occasionally sneak out of the office and usually nobody noticed.
              Oh, that's amazing! Fantastic set up!

Comment

What else would you be taking sick time in advance for other than a doctor/dental/therapy appointment?

Wife of a PGY-5
                Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

I think a valid reason why HR may need the reason for that sick leave is if you are on FMLA. If that's the case, it's a good thing that they asked because that leave is protected by law. Otherwise, they have no right to be uber nosy.

Comment

Originally posted by MarissaNicole View Post
                    What else would you be taking sick time in advance for other than a doctor/dental/therapy appointment?

Wife of a PGY-5
                    Medical procedure, mental health day, and probably other stuff I'm not thinking of. But does it matter? In my opinion, no it doesn't.

Argie - I am not on FMLA and my office employs too few to fall under it.

Comment

My thought is that it's all going to be medical/health related. I wouldn't think they need to know any more than that.

Wife of a PGY-5
                      Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Originally posted by MarissaNicole View Post
                        My thought is that it's all going to be medical/health related. I wouldn't think they need to know any more than that.

Wife of a PGY-5
                        Mine too!!! Why the hell does it matter? After next week's u/s and OB appt, I will be requesting sick time for my next set of appointments. And I certainly won't be telling the nut's assistant why I am going to be out.

Comment

Tangentially related: what the hell is the point of having paid sick time if you can't use it?

Today I met with the nut and our finance/pseudo HR person regarding maternity leave. We went over a lot of state leave stuff, which I already knew. We don't qualify for FMLA. I pointed out a HR manual discrepancy: one place it says you can only take 5 sick days at one time, in another place it says you must exhaust PTO before taking an unpaid LOA. How does that work if you can only take 5 days at once?! So I want to exhaust most of my 20+ sick days as some part of my leave. The answer as to whether or not I can do that is very unclear. Maybe a doctor could write me a note as opposed to declaring me disabled for the temporary disability offered by my state? I need to now wait for them to clarify their policy on sick time. The clock is slowly ticking towards my departure. This blows.

It was nice though to lower the boom that I could be gone in 2 weeks, if my doctor decides I've had enough. The nut couldn't wrap her brain around it and how it was connected to my delivery and an induction. Which nobody has ever talked induction - if the docs want to deliver me, then it will be a C-section. So weird.

Comment

Wow they are a mess
                            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
                              Wow they are a mess
                              Yup. They just met with me today about this and I am due in 6-8 weeks. And they didn't ask for a date of when I am going to leave! They just assume I will go out on state disability two weeks before my due date. Which is not will be happening at all - I want out before Thanksgiving.

Comment

Working...
                              X