Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

How I Made Sure All 12 of My Kids Could Pay for College Themselves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I Made Sure All 12 of My Kids Could Pay for College Themselves

http://qz.com/165716/how-i-made-sure...ge-themselves/

I think he has some good ideas with parenting, but I also think a lot was unnecessary, and he comes off as thinking he's better than everybody else.
    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

My favorite line, "we're raising children not saving money". Ain't that the truth!!!

I liked it. A lot of it is not our style but I'm glad it worked for them.
    Tara
    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Um, your children don't have allergies because they don't have allergies, not because you cooked for them or made them try all the foods.

They do did not turn out "normal" (eg not with special needs) because of anything you did or did not do.

What a wacko.

I'm very much for personal responsibility but some of the things he takes credit for are absurd.
      Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
        Um, your children don't have allergies because they don't have allergies, not because you cooked for them or made them try all the foods.

They do did not turn out "normal" (eg not with special needs) because of anything you did or did not do.

What a wacko.

I'm very much for personal responsibility but some of the things he takes credit for are absurd.
        Word!!!!
        Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

1. Goodness that sounds exhausting

2. Flexibility and treating kids differently based on their needs and strengths is important. I don't see that here
          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I guess it worked for them. We just returned from my ILs. They are very regimented. The predictability and rules make them feel safe. I want to run away and change my name and social security number by the end of every visit. The control and routines that bring them comfort make me feel suffocated. I need to know something unexpected is going to happen. Maybe that's my routine

I do think it would be cool if my kids built a car or computer, but in reality that would require a lot of parental guidance to be successful. It would suck up so much time that I would blaze a trail to best buy. I do give my kids a sewing machine and boxes a material. It does require being available for questions and help, but I knowledgable in that area. They would be royally screwed with a car or computer parts
            -Ladybug

Comment

I think it's important to remember that these folks had 12 kids in 15.5 years. I'm not sure anything other than exceedingly regimented would work, lol

I laughed at the vacation paragraph. I'd like to hear how his wife enjoyed camping with small children while her hubby went on 3-5 day hikes with the older children (aka: helpers). I'd kill my husband, of course I'd also kill him if he suggested camping as a vacation but that's another thread
              Tara
              Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post
                I laughed at the vacation paragraph. I'd like to hear how his wife enjoyed camping with small children while her hubby went on 3-5 day hikes with the older children (aka: helpers). I'd kill my husband, of course I'd also kill him if he suggested camping as a vacation but that's another thread
                Right??
                Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

The guy is overly righteous and a total douche.
                  Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post

I had this thought too. Imagine, she's likely pregnant and left in the woods with a bunch of toddlers. I'd die.

Originally posted by ides View Post
                    The guy is overly righteous and a total douche.
                    This.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
                    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

And he makes excuses for her ("remember she was pregnant or had just given birth") like she had the easy gig in the camping routine. Ha! Also, imagine the daily 5:15 am breakfast for twelve with a dozen years of newborns while preggers. His wife must be made of iron.

It seems like he had a lot of time to parent too. My thoughts tended toward how many hours went on to this parenting as well. It would be hard to do all that as a full time parent, and he worked.

Nuts.
                      Angie
                      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Hell, I'm a stay at home parent and couldn't do what they did

To be honest, I didn't find him arrogant, just matter of fact. It's fascinating to me hearing how different people run their families. Just amazing really. But I would love the kids opinion on all of this.
                        Tara

Comment

It would be interesting. I'm curious if they adopted it in their own lives.

Also random tangent, but a kid on the swim team with me in high school had a rebuilt
                          Mustang. His parents made him sell it after a year because it would slide in the rain and lacked modern safety features. It wasn't a safe car.
                          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

did I read that they sent their kids as young as kindergarten on planes to fly solo to visit relatives for three weeks? That is a little excessive in my opinion.

also the pictures that they hadn't all been together since 1998. I wonder if there is a reason for that.
                            Needs

Comment

^ hehe I had the same thought but didn't want to pass judgement without the full facts

Comment

Working...
                              X