Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What's the strangest thing about where you grew up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was totally normal for kids to miss school on opening day of deer hunting season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
    -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Well, I'm from the only state with legalized prostitution, so there's that...

(illegal in the county where I mostly grew up, however)
      Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Through elementary, middle, and high school in central NC, the ACC tournament was grounds to stop class and watch the games. Literally you'd go from one class to another and each room would have the game(s) on. That actually translated into my working life after I graduated from college and moved back home, the games were regularly broadcast in our office area/break area and then when I worked at one of the major hospitals in the area? Oh yeah, the tourney was on EVERYWHERE...you'd walk through the hospital and hear cheers from one area or another. ACC basketball is a very, very serious business at home.
        Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

After reading this, the strangest thing is that there was really nothing strange
          Jen
          Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Okay, maybe the names of some of the towns I've lived in. Broken Arrow and Flower Mound were a few.(Yes, there is a mound of flowers (weeds) surrounded by a big iron fence that says "The Flower Mound" on it)
            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I've told my kids several times that where I grew up football wasn't a big deal in high school. I had no idea who the jocks were or the cheerleaders. It was all about the beach. Social life revolved around what street you parked at to hit the beach and the principal would take his surfboard to the beach some days and hand out detentions to people skipping school.

Kind of tough on a pudgy redhead, all that sunshine.

Angie
              Angie
              Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
              Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Seattle. Home of the passive aggressive! We have it down to an art form.
                married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Seattle. Home of the passive aggressive! We have it down to an art form.
                  Have you been to Minnesota? Seriously, it is the most bizarre thing in the world. People are smiling and polite but the words coming out of their mouth are strangely antagonistic. It is such a cognitive disconnect. Anyway, in a passive aggressive fest, I'd lay money on a Minnesotan over a PNW-er any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
                  In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

^^have you been to the south? We're famous for the backhanded comment, padded with innocuous well wishes.

"Poor thing has gained about 60 pounds and doesn't carry it well at all, bless her heart."
                    "He didn't seem very bright, bless his heart."
                    Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by houseelf View Post
                      Have you been to Minnesota? Seriously, it is the most bizarre thing in the world. People are smiling and polite but the words coming out of their mouth are strangely antagonistic. It is such a cognitive disconnect. Anyway, in a passive aggressive fest, I'd lay money on a Minnesotan over a PNW-er any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
                      See, I'm familiar with this stereotype, but I lived in MN for 10 years and did not feel this at all! I always thought people were pretty friendly and direct, though they wouldn't always say what was on their minds. I've definitely seen the "eyebrows-up-I'm judging-you-but-not-saying-anything" look, but I didn't get a lot of passive aggression.
                      Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackWife View Post
                        ^^have you been to the south? We're famous for the backhanded comment, padded with innocuous well wishes.

"Poor thing has gained about 60 pounds and doesn't carry it well at all, bless her heart."
                        "He didn't seem very bright, bless his heart."
                        My MIL (from Alabama) says "bless his/her heart" ALL THE TIME! Her mother is ever worse (she usually adds, "well lan' sakes alive" with it). It cracks me up.

My hometown is a pretty uninteresting small suburb, but do have the distinction of having at least 3 Olympic medalists from the town (including one of the "Magnificent Seven" gymnasts from 1996, who were my heroes growing up). Also, we had a freaking awesome marching band. It was WAY cooler to be in the band than to be a cheerleader or football player.
                        Wife of a PGY-1 podiatric surgery resident, mom to two cat babies with a human one on the way!

Comment

The town nearest to where I grew up has 16 pubs on it's main street. The street is about a mile long. This is in Ireland.
                          Great for a pub crawl though.
                          Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                          Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

My hometown actually has neighborhood (ahem, communities) where kids are not allowed. When we would visit my aunt, we had to stay in her little garden home backyard and not squeal or make much noise.
                            Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

My hometown was the winter home for several circuses. We drove past elephants, giraffes, and zebras every day. There were the circus kids who only attended school while the circus was not touring. They now have an elephant refuge and breeding program there as well, which is funded by one of the circuses.

The town cemetery was also the place where the bull riders Freckles Brown and Lane Frost were buried.
                              Laurie
                              My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

My hometown is known as the place with out an accent. Its the "accent" all tv reporters try to attain. Which oddly, if you don't speak in that "accent" isn't it an accent? lol

Its also the tester state. By this I mean companies use our area to test everything on earth before they farm it out to the rest of the country. My favorite as a kid is the KenTacoHut. Thats the building that houses a Kentucky fried chicken, taco bell, and pizza hut in one building. It was the big hang out in middle school and beginning of high school. I have now seen two combined in locations through out the country but never seen all three combined anywhere else.
                                -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
                                Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
                                Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X