Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

QOTW - April 22: The best everyday products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heck yeah
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I think I'll be able to beat Spotty Dog in my cheapness and un-girlyness. Although I'd like to be more crunchy I'm really to cheap and probably too lazy to do the research.

1. Toilet paper - Kirkland

2. Paper towels - Store brand, we don't use them very often

3. Shampoo and Conditioner - Pantene Pro-V, I get it when there is a Costco coupon

4. Laundry Detergent - All Free and Clear, again I stock up when there is a Costco coupon. It's on the approved list for the cloth diapers.

5. Household Cleaners - Water...sometimes I'll use a little baking soda too. I do use cleaners for the toilet and shower but I'm not picky.

6. Vacuum cleaner - Kenmore Progressive, was highly rated by consumer reports and six years later it still does the job.

7. Makeup (mascara, lipstick, and foundation) - None, I have some Mary Kay stuff I bought for my wedding eight years ago. I've thought about trying bare minerals are something, but again too cheap and lazy for makeup.

8. Wrinkle or face cream/moisturizer, face care - None

9. Jeans - Usually Gap or Old Navy, I try to find them at the consignment store for under $10 and wear them till they have embarrassing holes.

10. Bras - Wearing worn out nursing bras now. I'll probably get some new ones after DD is weaned but I don't have a favorite.

11. Swimsuits - Current one is from Target

12. Toothpaste/teeth whiteners - Not picky, for some reason I feel like I need to get the toothpaste that says whitening, but I don't know if it makes a difference. Lately I've been getting whatever is cheapest with a Costco coupon.

13. Dress shoes/heels - I am willing to spend a more money on daily shoes. For work shoes I like Born. If it is dressy, like heels I usually only wear them a few times because I don't dress up often so Target or something similar.

14. Athletic Shoes - Again willing to spend more for quality but wear them till they fall apart. My current pair are Mizuno's that I've had for the last seven years but they have a hole in the toe so it's really time for some new ones.

15. Dishwasher Detergent - Palmolive Eco

16. Deodorant - Dove, but ST you've got me thinking about trying to go without. Maybe after we move to the PNW and it's not as hot I'll give it a try.

17. Sunscreen - I usually try to research a ton for the stuff I put on the kids, but most of the stuff I've tried runs and gets in their eyes, clumps up funny when they sweat, etc. I haven't found anything I love. For the adults I HATE the spray stuff, it stinks and makes me feel sticky. DS's daycare was using it on the kids and I actually asked them to stop, and they did, because they are still doing research on what affects it has for little ones breathing in the fumes.

18. Coffee/Tea/Soda (drink of choice) - I drink decaf Caribou in the mornings, but it's half milk. I like having a warm drink to sip on in the winter and it's just become part of the ritual. I don't do caffeine when pregnant or nursing and I think I'm better in general without the ups and downs when I drink actual coffee. We decided a while back to stop drinking soda all together, I miss it. Lemonade is usually my go to treat drink, but I drink a lot more water now.

19. Pick one other everyday product to recommend! - I love my Pyrex storage containers. Easy to see leftovers and I don't mind heating stuff up in them. I take leftovers for lunch, feed the kids food out of the little ones. We use them a ton.

20. Pick a product that is the most overrated, and tell us why! - Can't think of anything right now.
      Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Comment

16. Deodorant - Dove, but ST you've got me thinking about trying to go without. Maybe after we move to the PNW and it's not as hot I'll give it a try.
        Dude, I'm in Texas! But I've never noticed an awful smell and I usually shower right after I work out. Ha, maybe I should ask my husband. I don't really sweat all that much unless I'm workout out or really nervous. Or giving birth. I do wear it if I have to give a presentation.
        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher View Post
          1. Toilet paper
          Usually Charmin Ultra-Strong. We use a lot less of it than any other brand.

2. Paper towels
          Viva usually, but we only use them for wiping out the cast iron cookware.

3. Shampoo and Conditioner
          I bounce between Joico, Redken, Matrix, and another one I can never remember the name of. I just remember the bottle.

4. Laundry Detergent
          Gain gel ball whatchits.

5. Household Cleaners
          Norwex anti-bac microfiber cloths and Dr. Bronner's soaps. BTW, if you put some of the Dr. Bronner's soap directly into the toilet bowl and let it sit for a few minutes, it cleans up beautifully when you scrub it. Man, I love that soap.

6. Vacuum cleaner
          Shark Navigator Professional Pet Pro

7. Makeup (mascara, lipstick, and foundation)
          Foundation: Bare Minerals
          Mascara: Eyeko
          Don't wear lipstick.

8. Wrinkle or face cream/moisturizer, face care
          Whish Coconut Correcting Gel

9. Jeans
          Jag

10. Bras
          La Parisa

11. Swimsuits
          N/A

12. Toothpaste/teeth whiteners
          Colgate

13. Dress shoes/heels
          Can't wear heels, so my dress shoes are either flats or cute flat sandals (weather permitting). My current favorite flats are Merrells. My favorite sandals are a pewter pair of Marc Fischers.

14. Athletic Shoes
          New Balance Minimus

15. Dishwasher Detergent
          Finish with the red ball doohickey.

16. Deodorant
          An unscented mineral salt roll-on.

17. Sunscreen
          I think it's a Coppertone athletic spray on one.

18. Coffee/Tea/Soda (drink of choice)
          I don't drink soda anymore. I do, however, consume a shit ton of coffee. Typically Bluestar or Raven's Brew.

19. Pick one other everyday product to recommend!
          Microfiber cloths for face washing and makeup removal. My skin has become more sensitive since as I've gotten older. If I don't remove ALL make-up traces, I'll break out like a mofo. It's grossly fascinating how much those cloths can pick up even AFTER I've washed my face.

20. Pick a product that is the most overrated, and tell us why!
          Telephones. Because people can get a hold of me.

Comment

1. Toilet paper:
            Scott

2. Paper towels
            no preference

3. Shampoo and Conditioner.
            Keratesse color protect

4. Laundry Detergent.
            Tide cold water

5. Household Cleaners.
            no preference

6. Vacuum cleaner
            . Meile canister

Benefit mascara and cheek/lip tint, Whisper lip tint

Olay Regenerist

9. Jeans.
            CJ by Cookie Johnson, Joe's

10. Bras.
            Target. *blush*

11. Swimsuits.
            Title Nine

no preference

13. Dress shoes/heels
            no preference

14. Athletic Shoes
            no preference

15. Dishwasher Detergent

Cascade Gel

16. Deodorant
            no preference/don't use

17. Sunscreen
            no preference

Advocate Spark, Crystal light pomegranate/cherry

Magnesium supplements? Seriously, life changing for me.....better sleep, less anxiety.

Bosch dishwashers. At least the mid priced range...sucks. Top of the line used to be great.

Angie
            Angie
            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
            Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by civilspouse View Post
              I think I'll be able to beat Spotty Dog in my cheapness and un-girlyness. Although I'd like to be more crunchy I'm really to cheap and probably too lazy to do the research.
              Alison

Comment

You guys... Go splurge on some bras!

My life has been forever changed -- I didn't realize that you didn't have to suffer with straps that fall and ill-fitting cups.
                Get yourself to the nearest Nordstrom, get measured (yes, they will see your boobies, but who cares?), and try on bras that are actually YOUR size. I did this after my first pregnancy, as was appalled to see that I was a 36D, not a 34B or a 32C.

I love my Chantelle bras, and am willing to spend the $89 on them ($59 at the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale).

Go. DO. IT!
                married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

1. Toilet paper
                  I started using Scott because it's easier on the septic system, then tried going back to Quilted Northern but I have to buy it too often so Scott it is.

2. Paper towels
                  Members Mark from Sam's

3. Shampoo and Conditioner
                  I tend to use one brand for a few months then switch. No real preferences.

4. Laundry Detergent
                  Tide

5. Household Cleaners
                  The only ones I continue to buy are a natural kitchen cleaner called WhatEver and Scrubbing Bubbles disposable toilet cleaners. Otherwise, whatever is on sale.

6. Vacuum cleaner
                  I love my Dyson Animal, worth every penny.

Don't wear much. A lot of foundation and concealer brands make my skin break out. I use Dr Jart's BB cream which is tinted and Prescriptives concealer.

Mostly Neutrogena or Simple products.

9. Jeans
                  Haven't been wearing them lately, no preference.

10. Bras
                  Vanity Fair, don't know where I got them but they're super comfy.

11. Swimsuits
                  Don't have one at the moment.

Sensodyne

13. Dress shoes/heels
                  No preference, whatever fits. I don't wear them much.

14. Athletic Shoes
                  Can't remember which ones I have now.

15. Dishwasher Detergent
                  Finish

16. Deodorant
                  Crystal Essence, aluminum free deodorant.

17. Sunscreen
                  Neutrogena

Barry's Irish tea. I have to order it online but love it. Most black tea brands are not strong enough for me.

Seventh Generation products. Their stuff can smell funny but they're excellent. I use their diapers and wipes for DS.

Target brand clothes. Their stuff can be cute but doesn't last.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
                  Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                  Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Oh my goodness! I have three answers in common with Spotty! (Toilet paper, vacuum cleaner, and k-cups since a friend guilted me into switching to biodegradable)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                    Veronica
                    Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

And this is where I out-crunchy even Spotty Dog in areas

1. Toilet paper - Scott has a version that is 2-ply and quilted and not ass-scratch. This is what we use.

2. Paper towels - Viva - but I rarely use them. I do however have a stack cheap washcloths that I use for most stuff.

3. Shampoo and Conditioner - I'd like to stop using commercial products altogether, but I struggle to find stuff that works for my skin/hair.

4. Laundry Detergent - I make my own soap and then grate it and mix it with borax and washing soda. It has gotten to the point that I can barely stand walking down the laundry aisle in stores because the scents are too overwhelming. I don't use fabric softener and I don't use dryer sheets. I do have bleach and oxyclean on hand, but they are rarely used. My first tub of oxy clean lasted 2 years.

5. Household Cleaners - white vinegar for lots of stuff and whatever powdered scrubbing stuff is cheapest. Once the existing containers are gone I will be trying some homemade stuff for this as well.

6. Vacuum cleaner - I have a Hoover and it is adequate

7. Makeup (mascara, lipstick, and foundation) - I don't wear much and never wear foundation anymore. eyeliner and mascara is about as good as it gets unless it is sooper fancy, then I might add eyeshadow and lips. I have blush, but since I don't use foundation, I don't really see the need for it.

8. Wrinkle or face cream/moisturizer, face care - I use this toner http://notyourmothersapron.com/product/facial-toner/ and follow it up with this serum http://notyourmothersapron.com/product/facial-serum/ I wash my face once a day with this soap http://notyourmothersapron.com/product/tea-tree-oil/ I follow up with the toner and serum. And that's it. I'm lazy.

9. Jeans - Levi's Curve ID. They aren't the best, but at roughly $50 at an outlet mall, they are the best option for me.

10. Bras - Soma

11. Swimsuits - target - I usually do a halter style tank for the top and a bottom with a skirt.

12. Toothpaste/teeth whiteners - whatever is on sale

13. Dress shoes/heels - no opinion

14. Athletic Shoes - it changes frequently

15. Dishwasher Detergent - I'd like to use the green versions, but I feel like stuff doesn't get as clean

16. Deodorant - secret unscented

17. Sunscreen - No Ad brand

18. Coffee/Tea/Soda (drink of choice) - I try to buy from a smaller roaster, but I'm not all that picky. I do prefer the froofy flavored coffees to dark roast. I don't really drink soda.

19. Pick one other everyday product to recommend! - Magic Erasers. I flove them.

20. Pick a product that is the most overrated, and tell us why! - most of the clothing at Kohls - so much of it falls apart quickly. I end up frustrated because it is cute, but it is soooo poorly constructed.
                      Kris

Comment

You can use deodorant that has no antiperspirant- that's what I use.
                        Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Since I'm procrastinating on running errands, now is the perfect time for this.

1. Toilet paper - Quilted Northern. This is DH's preference. I don't really care.

2. Paper towels - Whatever brand I picked up at Sam's. I have dozens of microfiber cloths so we use those for everything but the grossest spills.

3. Shampoo and Conditioner - I don't use shampoo. For conditioner, lately I've been using Jessicurl or DevaCurl, but I'll use anything that doesn't have silicones. One of my daughters uses L'oreal sulfate-free line and it works really well on her hair.

4. Laundry Detergent - Tide h.e. It works and I can buy it at Sam's.

5. Household Cleaners - I make my own with vinegar, baking soda, Dr Bronner's.

6. Vacuum cleaner - I have a very expensive Miele canister that works well...but has already broken down twice in the ~2 years I've owned it. (The whole reason for shelling out so much $$ is so I wouldn't have to deal with break-downs...)

7. Makeup (mascara, lipstick, and foundation) - I haven't worn any since January. Fave mascara was Diorshow Iconic, and MUFE foundations.

8. Wrinkle or face cream/moisturizer, face care - Retin-A, coconut oil

9. Jeans - don't wear jeans

10. Bras - Nike or C9 (target) sports bras

11. Swimsuits - Land's End. Board shorts, ftw!

12. Toothpaste/teeth whiteners - Colgate baking soda and peroxide. Cheap and I love it. For whitening I just swish with peroxide.

13. Dress shoes/heels - Neither have graced my feet in a very long time. I am partial to Born sandals and wedges though for summer!

14. Athletic Shoes - Merrell barefoot Pace, Chucks, and my VFFs

15. Dishwasher Detergent - Cascade, because it's powder and comes in a big box at Sam's. And it works.

16. Deodorant - Lady Mitchum solid. My cleaning lady (love her) made me a homemade deodorant. I was so excited, but ye gods I stank...and I don't even really stink without deodorant. That was disappointing.

17. Sunscreen - Been meaning to research good ones. I just buy whatever.

18. Coffee/Tea/Soda (drink of choice) - Mostly water, but I do love my Diet Coke. In the winter, I would drink hot cocoa all day if I could.

19. Pick one other everyday product to recommend! Microfiber cloths! I buy the enormous packs from Sam's and use them for everything. For glass all you need is a wet one (just water) and a dry one.

20. Pick a product that is the most overrated, and tell us why! Electrolux appliances. My grace, they suck.

Comment

Originally posted by alison View Post
                            You guys... Go splurge on some bras!

My life has been forever changed -- I didn't realize that you didn't have to suffer with straps that fall and ill-fitting cups.
                            Get yourself to the nearest Nordstrom, get measured (yes, they will see your boobies, but who cares?), and try on bras that are actually YOUR size. I did this after my first pregnancy, as was appalled to see that I was a 36D, not a 34B or a 32C.

I love my Chantelle bras, and am willing to spend the $89 on them ($59 at the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale).

Go. DO. IT!
                            I totally agree! I wore a 34-36B usually Calvin Kline from lohmans) until like 4 years ago when I went to get fitted. 34D - oops. Huge change. I forget the brands I've been buying since, but I always buy them at nordstrom now.
                            Last edited by JDAZ11; 04-25-2014, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
                              And this is where I out-crunchy even Spotty Dog in areas
                              Whee, love it! I actually don't think I've ever been the crunchiest, but as I wrote up my answers I realized in some areas I've swung quite a bit the other way!
                              Alison

Comment

Bonbon - I can't believe you have a dud Miele . Mines a canister, going on 7 years without any issues.
                                Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Working...
                                X