Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

QOTW - April 22: The best everyday products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QOTW - April 22: The best everyday products

Which is the best, or your favorite, brand/type of: Tell us why!

1. Toilet paper

2. Paper towels

3. Shampoo and Conditioner

4. Laundry Detergent

5. Household Cleaners

6. Vacuum cleaner

7. Makeup (mascara, lipstick, and foundation)

8. Wrinkle or face cream/moisturizer, face care

9. Jeans

10. Bras

11. Swimsuits

12. Toothpaste/teeth whiteners

13. Dress shoes/heels

14. Athletic Shoes

15. Dishwasher Detergent

16. Deodorant

17. Sunscreen

18. Coffee/Tea/Soda (drink of choice)

19. Pick one other everyday product to recommend!

20. Pick a product that is the most overrated, and tell us why!
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

5. I am currently obsessed with Pledge Wipes! I love those nice smelling suckers that hold up well and get all of my things really clean!
    Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
    "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

In which spotty_dog reveals the depths of her crunchiness, stingy frugality, and un-girliness. Okay, here goes, there's a lot of categories here...

1. Toilet paper
      2. Paper towels

Whatever's on sale; recycled if I'm feeling virtuous.

4. Laundry Detergent

Whatever "natural" brand is cheapest. SLS-free shampoos a must. Always one powdered unscented detergent and lately one liquid scented detergent -- I'm a little addicted to Seventh Generation 4x Geranium Blossom & Vanilla.

5. Household Cleaners

Ecover All-Purpose is terrific because it's natural, lightly scented, and one $4 bottle lasts almost a year! I also use Method Glass & Surface loyally, love the minty scent and I think I'm on the third year of the giant refill bottle. Otherwise, it's whatever natural brand is on sale. (See a pattern?)

6. Vacuum cleaner

Loyal to my Oreck. Going on 11 years and still sucking powerfully.

Aromaleigh eye shadow, powder concealer, powder foundation. I have a huge hoarded collection of cheap eyeshadow samples even though I seldom wear makeup. Free Clinique samples for mascara and lipstick, Burt's Bees Super Glossy for everyday.

Bar-Maids Face Pudding, Lush Angels on Bare Skin, hand made oat and honey soap.

9. Jeans

Whatever my mom buys me! She's stocked me up on NYDJ at the last few gift-giving occasions.

10. Bras

Whatever's at Fred Meyer for my annual excursion. I mostly have Maidenform T-shirt bras now but I actually kind of hate them.

11. Swimsuits

N/a, haven't found a good one (the Lands End tankini I got earlier this year is...okay.)

The cheapest white paste.

13. Dress shoes/heels

The generic store brand from Payless. Surprisingly comfy!

14. Athletic Shoes

My Brooks are about 3 years old now and falling apart, in the market for new. Thinking minimalist.

15. Dishwasher Detergent

I swear by Finish Tabs with Powerball.

16. Deodorant

Mitchum unscented roll on. Unglamorous, but bulletproof! I used a rock crystal for years and it too was bulletproof until I had kids and my hormones changed.

17. Sunscreen

No-AD 15 or whatever's on sale

San Francisco Bay Coffee Company French Roast K-cups, Tazo Zen tea bags

Lamy Safari fountain pen, I'm in love!

I'll have to work on this.
      Alison

Comment

1. Toilet paper-Huggies baby wipes and Quilted Northern. My tush needs TLC.

2. Paper towels-Whatever's cheapest

3. Shampoo and Conditioner-Since last week, Herbal Essences because it was on sale at Target

4. Laundry Detergent-Big jug o' Tide from Costco

5. Household Cleaners-I like to make my own with baking soda, vinegar, etc.

6. Vacuum cleaner-Hoover from college, which is on its last legs

7. Makeup (mascara, lipstick, and foundation)-I've been wearing the same thing forever: Laura Mercier Oil Free Foundation, Stila IPF in 20 watts, and Revlon that's discontinued so I snatch up on eBay

8. Wrinkle or face cream/moisturizer, face care-Simple gel moisturizer and Lotion by Kris' sister, Shiseido eye cream

9. Jeans-AG. No skinny jeans, nothing cropped, I like boot cut.

10. Bras-Betsey Johnson, Calvin Klein, and DKNY

11. Swimsuits-Can this be my overrated item? Hate hot weather!

12. Toothpaste/teeth whiteners-Arm and Hammer Baking Soda

13. Dress shoes/heels-Um, Jack Purcells by Converse? I don't wear heels unless it's a special occasion or I feel really crappy that day

14. Athletic Shoes-I don't like cardio so...

15. Dishwasher Detergent-Palmolive

16. Deodorant-Certain Dri or Dove

17. Sunscreen-Don't use it. I wear hats and look like Michael Jackson instead

18. Coffee/Tea/Soda (drink of choice)-Green tea. Not a fan of cold drinks

19. Pick one other everyday product to recommend! Bioderma H2O (it's a non rinse cleanser that can be used as a toner and takes off your makeup too)

20. Pick a product that is the most overrated, and tell us why! See swimsuits!

Comment

1. Toilet paper - Used to be Charmin all the way, but recently switched to Kirkland. It's cheaper and similar quality

2. Paper towels - Kirkland again - love them and the roll is HUGE!

3. Shampoo and Conditioner - Bed Head.

4. Laundry Detergent - All Free and Clear Mighty Packs - toss one in the machine - no drippy, messy, soapy dispensers or containers to deal with. Plus my contact allergies to most laundry detergent fragrance

5. Household Cleaners - I make my own with vinegar.

6. Vacuum cleaner - I hate mine, but have never found one I love. It works ok.

7. Makeup (mascara, lipstick, and foundation) - Clinique foundation/presses powder because I don't break out. I don't wear mascara. I love my Este Lauder lipstick, but am currently looking for a lip stain to wear all day...

8. Wrinkle or face cream/moisturizer, face care - I wash with a peroxide-based product once a day. That's it.

9. Jeans - Lucky. Hands down. They make my booty look nice

10. Bras - I need new ones! Target because they're cheaper and comfy

11. Swimsuits - I just remembered last night (I'm looking for a new one) - Venus.

12. Toothpaste/teeth whiteners - Crest with Scope, but I may switch to Crest Pro Health. Actually, I would switch if we had more cabinet space in our bathroom.

13. Dress shoes/heels - no favorite. I buy very few pairs ever (like less than 1 pair a year) and buy mostly based on perceived comfort and style/event.

14. Athletic Shoes - New Balance!

15. Dishwasher Detergent - Cascade packs

16. Deodorant - used to be Lush's Tao bar, but postpartum me was not digging it. I currently use Dove Clinical.

17. Sunscreen - Coppertone usually, but Neutragena for my face.

18. Coffee/Tea/Soda (drink of choice) - Coffee: Dunkin Donuts with cream and sugar. Tea: Starbucks Iced Passion Tea Lemonade or a good jasmine tea. Soda: Wild Cherry Pepsi or A&W Root Beer.

19. Pick one other everyday product to recommend! I love my new Helen of Troy blow dryer! It's awesome

Hair removal cream/home hair removal (Nair, Veet, home waxing, sugaring, "As Seen On TV" removers)- they make your skin burn, they're hard to use, they don't work!
          Jen
          Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Jen, my friend got me a tube of Smashbox Mulberry that I think would look great with your coloring.

Comment

1. Toilet paper - cottenelle- strong and soft and isn't linty.

2. Paper towels - bounty

3. Shampoo and Conditioner - shampoo bar from Chagrin Valley Soap, conditioner - vinegar water

4. Laundry Detergent - my own unscented recipe

5. Household Cleaners - Ecover dish soap, vinegar, baking soda

6. Vacuum cleaner - Miele forever !

7. Makeup (mascara, lipstick, and foundation) - I never wear it but when I do - neutrogena under eye and stay don't stray.

8. Wrinkle or face cream/moisturizer, face care - CeraVie foaming face wash and lotion

9. Jeans - don't wear them. Can't find a comfortable and flattering brand/style

10. Bras - barely there - don't love them but can't find others that fit my huge ribcage and small boobs.

11. Swimsuits - ugh

12. Toothpaste/teeth whiteners - arm and hammer peroxicare

13. Dress shoes/heels - none really- few random brands. No heels.

14. Athletic Shoes - none really- few random brands

15. Dishwasher Detergent - Ecover

16. Deodorant - toms unscented

17. Sunscreen - neutrogena

18. Coffee/Tea/Soda (drink of choice) - coffee with cream and sugar, water

19. Pick one other everyday product to recommend! Berts Bees cuticle cream - great on fingers, toes, knees and heels that are cracked, dry or rough.

Anything scented that's not natural and mild- I hate unnatural or strongly scented things make me feel like I'm suffocating.
              Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Originally posted by Curegirl View Post
                Jen, my friend got me a tube of Smashbox Mulberry that I think would look great with your coloring.
                Ohhhh...that's purdy! I want something more everyday, I think...but I will be trying that one too!
                Jen
                Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

1. Toilet paper: cottonelle ultra

2. Paper towels: viva

3. Shampoo and Conditioner: fekkai

4. Laundry Detergent: tide free & gentle

5. Household Cleaners: vinegar and water, Clorox for bath and toilet

6. Vacuum cleaner: Miele

7. Makeup (mascara, lipstick, and foundation): Temptu foundation; maybelline stiletto mascara; smash box lipgloss, eyeshadow and eyebrow powder

8. Wrinkle or face cream/moisturizer, face care: cvs oil free moisturizer, Vaseline

9. Jeans: AG Stevie Jeans

10. Bras: Prima Donna Madison (I'm busty and it's amazing...plus amazon frequently has them on sale...)

11. Swimsuits: I hate them all

12. Toothpaste/teeth whiteners: Rembrandt 2-hour (you make your own molds)!

13. Dress shoes/heels: Clark's flats

14. Athletic Shoes: new balance

15. Dishwasher Detergent: cascade and Method

16. Deodorant: secret unscented

17. Sunscreen: whatever

18. Coffee/Tea/Soda (drink of choice): water

Comment

I like this one! Mostly I buy generic or a natural brand, though

1. Toilet paper

Scott--it's cheap and I don't really care what we wipe our bums with. DH used to care and now agrees its a stupid thing to spend money on.

2. Paper towels

In Oklahoma, I bought these cheap Made in Oklahoma brand. Now I buy the 6 pack Wal Mart brand

Trader Joes

4. Laundry Detergent

I make my own with Ide's recipe, though I use scented Dr. Bronners. Works well and I keep it in a pretty glass container.

5. Household Cleaners

Method products or Dr. Bronners for washing the floor. I plan to use it in other areas too
                    Pledge lemon wipes actually work pretty well on stainless steel

6. Vacuum cleaner

Dont really care

I've been using Pur Minerals products for almost 10 years. Love it (I am big on keeping the stuff that goes on my face relatively low in chemicals) Haven't found a lipstick or mascara I love

Nada.

9. Jeans

Nothing great. I do have a pair of Banana Republic Jeggings I love, but currently cant fit into

10. Bras

Someday I'll get a good bra

11. Swimsuits

Someday I'll get a good swimsuit

AIM. Cheap and it works. Another thing I've converted DH to

13. Dress shoes/heels

Nine West low pointy heels

14. Athletic Shoes

15. Dishwasher Detergent

I actually have a lot to say about this. I used to use the natural stuff, but it really was subpar. I buy the giant bottle of Cascade Complete at Costco and it makes a significant difference.

Also alert to parents with small kids! The dishwasher and laundry detergent packaged in single use packets is risky--there usually isn't a child proof latch and the packaging is attractive to kids. I keep mine up high or in a cabinet with a latch, but I like the extra protection of a child proof top on my dishwashing detergent

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news...en-4797402.php

16. Deodorant

I don't use it! Never felt I needed it.

17. Sunscreen

I research the cheapest brand with the highest rating on the Environmental Working Group's website every year

Coke Zero (but I shouldn't)
                    Izze Juices
                    Dry Soda (so good)

Magic Erasers. Because my toddlers colors on her play table and then tells me to clean it up.

Swiffers. My floor is too dirty for them
                    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyhoundsRUs View Post
                      Ohhhh...that's purdy! I want something more everyday, I think...but I will be trying that one too!
                      Have you tried Stainiac? You can use it as a cheek stain too.

Comment

1. Toilet paper - Charmin Sensitive. It's hard to find, but is amazing on your ass.

2. Paper towels - Viva! It's soft and strong.

3. Shampoo and Conditioner - Kerastase.

4. Laundry Detergent - Tide in big jugs from Costco

5. Household Cleaners - Method Granite, Magic Erasers

6. Vacuum cleaner - Haven't found a good one. Hate my Dyson. My Hoover is just okay.

7. Makeup (mascara, lipstick, and foundation). Mascara - Benefit They're Real, Lipstick - Loreal Outlast is okay, bare Minerals.

I don't use anything.

9. Jeans

Whatever is cheap/fits

10. Bras

I kinda like these Soma ones, but kinda hate them too. The fucking straps won't stay adjusted.

11. Swimsuits

I like Miraclesuit and Athleta

Colgate whitening in the little bottle. I hate tubes.

13. Dress shoes/heels

Payless.

14. Athletic Shoes

Don't care. I have Nike Free right now.

15. Dishwasher Detergent

Cascade gel.

16. Deodorant

Mitchum or Secret

17. Sunscreen

Coppertone continuous spray. At least SPF 50.

Coca cola.

Don't know.

20. Pick a product that is the most overrated, and tell us why![/QUOTE]

Swiffers, Dysons, Viking appliances, lots!
                        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

1. Toilet paper - Charmin 2 ply mega roll

2. Paper towels - Bounty Select a Size

3. Shampoo and Conditioner - Herbal Essences

4. Laundry Detergent - I use All Free & Clear for DH's and my clothes, but I love Rockin' Green for our sheets and towels and the kids' clothes. It makes them really soft.

5. Household Cleaners - Mostly water and vinegar I keep mixed up in spray bottles around the house. I bought 2 dozen wash clothes from Amazon, and I keep them in every bathroom, the kitchen, and the utility closet. I use baking soda for scrubbing sinks and bathtubs.

6. Vacuum cleaner - Dyson

Mascara - Ugh, don't know. They changed the brush on the one I used for 12 years, and I haven't found another I like.
                          Lipstick - Whatever I've gotten free with purchases or in my Birchbox.
                          Foundation: Mary Kay cream to powder

8. Wrinkle or face cream/moisturizer, face care - Mary Kay Timewise

9. Jeans - Ugh. Probably a pair of Ralph Lauren ones I bought last year, but I need to lose weight or go up a size.

10. Bras - Not thrilled with any I have.

11. Swimsuits - Ugh.

12. Toothpaste/teeth whiteners - Anything with sodium monofluorophosphate instead of sodium fluoride. It actually whitens your teeth - none of the others do anywhere near as well.

13. Dress shoes/heels - No preference

14. Athletic Shoes - Nike

15. Dishwasher Detergent - Cascade Complete

16. Deodorant - Secret Clinical Strength

17. Sunscreen - No preference

18. Coffee/Tea/Soda (drink of choice) - Hazelnut K-Cups (home) and hazelnut frappuccino (Starbucks). Dr. Pepper is my favorite soft drink, but I'm trying to switch back to diet, so it's usually Diet Dr. Pepper or Coke Zero.

Tupperware FridgeSmart. They're awesome for storing berries!

Hmm, I can't think of any now.
                          Laurie
                          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

First, I'd like you to know that I'm not reading anyone else's answers until I post my own, so I'm not influenced.

1. Toilet paper - Kirkland Ultra (Costco's brand)

2. Paper towels - Viva!!! I'm very picky about this.

3. Shampoo and Conditioner - Aveda color conserve (I might be open to a change on this)

4. Laundry Detergent - Kirkland Free and Clear, same as Tide free and clear

5. Household Cleaners - Love, love microfiber cloths, method products, lysol gel toilet bowl cleaner, Lavender Pine-sol for floor deep cleaning, water-vinegar-baking soda for many jobs and daily cleaning.

6. Vacuum cleaner - Dyson ball animal

7. Makeup (mascara, lipstick, and foundation) - Mabeline rocket volume, lipstick changes, Tarte CC cream

8. Wrinkle or face cream/moisturizer, face care - changes about every three months

9. Jeans - NYDJ

10. Bras - Freya (large chested women who want a lift - check them out)

11. Swimsuits - Lands End

12. Toothpaste/teeth whiteners - I change frequently

13. Dress shoes/heels - hate shoes, wide feet

14. Athletic Shoes - anything but Nike

15. Dishwasher Detergent - Cascade

16. Deodorant - Secret

17. Sunscreen - Vanicream

18. Coffee/Tea/Soda (drink of choice) - I need to make myself drink more!

19. Pick one other everyday product to recommend! - Fels Naptha for stains (it's an old school bar that gets everything out), Tervis Tumbler cups - you can get lids, straws, they don't have condensation and stay relatively cool (plus the big ones force me to drink more).

20. Pick a product that is the most overrated, and tell us why! - Hanky Panky undies - I love them, but four months in, they all get holey. I've had this happen to a dozen pairs.
                            -Deb
                            Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

ST: http://www.eonline.com/news/534660/c...nt-in-20-years
                              Jen

Comment

Working...
                              X