Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Med Spouse Support Groups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Med Spouse Support Groups

Was/is there an official support group for resident spouses during your spouse's training? Was it specialty specific or institution wide? What sort of things did you do and how much support did you get from the institution?

We had one for medical school, but as far as I can tell, there isn't one for residents here, which sort of blows my mind. I'm still looking, but if there isn't one, I'm considering trying to start one. I'm a little hesitant to do so as a newbie, but if there truly is nothing, I think it could be cool. I'm wondering if there was something that was active at some point, but died out?
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

There is an institution wide resident's spouse support group here, but I've never really been involved so I'm not sure what sort of things they do. I think it's a lot of kid-centric stuff, and also book clubs and wine party type things.
    The spouses in DH's specialty have been much more of a support group for me, although we aren't a formalized "group." We have semi-regular get togethers and annual parties. If I didn't have that support, I definitely would have joined the larger institution wide group as a way to get to know people.

Comment

Yes, we had an institution wide it was for all training levels, med school to fellowship. It was supported by the staff wives group. http://www.mayofams.org I tried to get involved with the one at OHSU when we were there for fellowship but it was just different, I think I went to two things. Side by Side is another option for those that are religious, it's sponsored by the Christian. Medical Dental Association, https://www.cmda.org/WCM/CMDA/Naviga...e_Home_Pa.aspx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I'm actually joining the DFW side by side group--it meets in my town!
        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

There is one here, but I never went to anything when I belonged. Iowamedicalpartners.org. We got no support from the U. I was actually the president for a year (still didn't go to any events). I can put you in touch with the current pres if you'd like.
          Jen
          Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

There is one here. It meets during the week though and has a lot of play dates etc but nothing I can attend. It's actually really, really annoying.

There is a side by side group here but they're evening bible study didn't provide child care so that was also a non starter during intern year (hello, how is my intern DH going to watch my child when he's not home and that's why I need this support group?).

I agree that the spouses in our specialty have been the best people to get close to. Similar issues and call schedules make it easy.
            Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
            Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

The one at Mayo is really great. A ton of activities were during my work times (but I also worked like crazy while we were there), but there was a lot during non-traditional work hours as well. That's how I met SuzySunshine! For day to day support, the group of DH's residents and their spouses were awesome. A few of us made an effort to host parties, Thanksgiving, etc and that's how we really got to know each other and become close.
              -Deb
              Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Nothing that I know about here, though haven't looked into it. There's only one local spouse I really enjoy hanging out with, the rest make me uncomfortable.

Comment

Yeah, there is one here, but I only know of one person in it. I've never considered joining, but I'm assuming that they have lots of daytime activities.
                  I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

There was when I was in Hartford...it was nice and filled with great women but I wasn't really there long enough to connect very deeply. The residency sent us the info with DH's starting packet.

Comment

We don't have one that I know of here. I'm surprised so many do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't believe that we have one, sadly.
                        Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Nothing here. Some spouses started an informal one but it was basically all the Mormon wives with young kids, and they had play dates and ice cream socials and stuff. I wasn't interested.
                          Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

There wasn't one here when we came, but one of DH's classmates actually initiated one with the SOM sometime during their first year. So far, it's fairly inactive. It seems everything that has come to fruition through the group involves a child-centric activity. I've really got to find/start a group for childless spouses...

Interestingly, most of the schools to which DH applied and interviewed did have one, which at the time I assumed would be a plus. But now that our school does have one (though new and fairly not well established) I don't think it would have made a difference either way.
                            Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

There were none at either of DH's training hospitals.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
                              Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                              Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Working...
                              X