Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Leaving it all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually wouldn't want to move much farther from our families than we are now. Family aside, I'd love to live close to our friends in College Station, TX. Even better if we could talk them into moving to Norman, OK, or Austin, TX. (We're Sooners, but Austin is just such a great city!)
    Laurie
    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

The part of me that likes fast internet and flush toilets: Sydney, Australia
      The part of me that wants to save the world or die trying: Sub-Saharan Africa (and not S. Africa) to be a community health worker
      Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Ireland during the summer for obvious reasons, Italy during winter because Italians really know how to enjoy life. We would vacation in Australia and Hawaii. Oz is kind of crazy and wild, Hawaii is paradise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
        Last edited by MrsC; 04-18-2014, 01:17 PM.
        Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
        Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

At this point, I'd just like to live anywhere unreachable by family.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
            At this point, I'd just like to live anywhere unreachable by family.

oh my god!! Give your mom some bourbon!!! Or just save it for yourself. How did the apple fall so far from the tree?

Comment

And BTW I have a firm conviction it is not healthy to ever live close enough to family that they can just "pop in." I've progressively moved further and further away and it suits me just fine.

Comment

Dh and I talk about it all the time. We would move to an island. Beach and laid back. The tickets to St. John would be bought in no time.
                Brandi
                Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

I'm pretty happy where I am
                  It's dh who's ready to jump ship.
                  ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Originally posted by MAPPLEBUM View Post
                    And BTW I have a firm conviction it is not healthy to ever live close enough to family that they can just "pop in." I've progressively moved further and further away and it suits me just fine.
                    In our premarital counseling, our pastor told us to live far enough away that a visit would require an overnight stay.
                    Laurie

Comment

Originally posted by ladymoreta View Post
                      In our premarital counseling, our pastor told us to live far enough away that a visit would require an overnight stay.
                      Such good advice!

Comment

Seattle, Denver, or Augusta. I'm happy in the US, but would love to leave surgery in a past life for a 9-5 job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ladymoreta View Post
                          yea that's pretty awesome.

Comment

We may be in the minority, but we love living 45 mins away from my parents. They've never shown up unannounced or stayed past their welcome, and they're always incredibly helpful. I realize that's somewhat rare for parents and ILs though. I know my mom thinks my house could be cleaner, but she usually doesn't comment on it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
                            Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Originally posted by alotofyarn View Post
                              We may be in the minority, but we love living 45 mins away from my parents. They've never shown up unannounced or stayed past their welcome, and they're always incredibly helpful. I realize that's somewhat rare for parents and ILs though. I know my mom thinks my house could be cleaner, but she usually doesn't comment on it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
                              I can relate - in the four pre-med, post-undergrad years we lived together, we lived less than 15 min from my parents. Less than 10 from his. My parents would never dream of dropping in unannounced - not their style. You'll be shocked (not) to hear that the same cannot be said for my mil.
                              Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

We're actually happier living closer to our parents now (1.5 hours from mine, a little over 2 hours from DH's). I think we were so young when we were married, that it really helped us having that physical separation from them. Now that MIL has started having health issues, I've been trolling realtor.com for a house I want them to buy here. (Not that they are remotely interested in moving, but it would make me feel better to have her closer.)
                                Laurie

Comment

Working...
                                X