Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What are you reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you reading?

It's my first day on the boards and I think I've gone a little overboard in my venting and wondering. So I thought I'd ask: what are you reading right now? I've recently gotten really into audiobooks (took me so long!) so I've been tearing through books like a madwoman. Recently I've read "Sharp Objects", "The Great Gatsby" (re-read), "Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore", and "The Perks Of Being A Wallflower"--just in the last month.

I am a book lover and read mostly fiction. But I do enjoy biographies, memoirs, and other types of non-fiction. I'm not big on historical fiction or sci-fi stuff, but I always love to hear about what people are reading. I'm always on the lookout for my next good read.
    Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

I'm reading "Poor Banished Children" by Fiorella de Maria. Found it in a Catholic book store.
    Veronica
    Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Originally posted by Cassy
      *le sigh* I am reading the first Harry Potter book. I have been dragging my feet on this for many years but I have finally caved. I haven't seen any of the movies so I'm a clean slate.

I am also wrapping up Julie and Julia.

I recently read Gone Girl in a day and I had to seriously dial back the reading for a short while because that was INTENSE.
      Gillian Flynn is very intense! It took me about 48 hours to read Gone Girl and I LOVED it. I don't read a lot of mysteries so this was refreshing for me. Her other books are equally dark and intense, but so good! I liked Sharp Objects a lot and I actually own Dark Places. I haven't actually finished it though...I'm not sure why. I put it down a couple months ago and haven't picked it back up. According to Good Reads and Amazon reviews. it's the least-liked of her three novels.

I feel you on the HP series though. Even though I read them when they came out...I totally just stopped after the fourth one. I just...wasn't interested anymore. But the first one remains my favorite of the ones I've read. It was so magical to get to know the whole wizarding world that first time!
      Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

I kind of took a break because life got super busy, but I've been reading "Calm My Anxious Heart" by Linda Dillow.
        Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

I have a bad habit of only reading young adult books. Currently I am reading the second of the Birthmarked Trilogy, "Prized" by Caragh M. O'Brien. I am liking the second book more than I liked the first.

ETA: totally forgot, I am listening to Tina Fey's Bossypants on audio. I listen to fall asleep... This book is not appropriate to listen to to fall asleep because it keeps cracking me up.
          -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
          Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
          Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackWife View Post
            Gillian Flynn is very intense! It took me about 48 hours to read Gone Girl and I LOVED it. I don't read a lot of mysteries so this was refreshing for me. Her other books are equally dark and intense, but so good! I liked Sharp Objects a lot and I actually own Dark Places. I haven't actually finished it though...I'm not sure why. I put it down a couple months ago and haven't picked it back up. According to Good Reads and Amazon reviews. it's the least-liked of her three novels.
            Yep, I read all three of these recently and thought Sharp Objects was the best and Gone Girl was pretty good too -- didn't like Dark Places at all. It just doesn't connect as well. I'm a big mystery reader and also read all of Sophie Hannah's books recently -- really liked most of them. A few days ago I picked up Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys but I can't seem to get into it right now, so I'm moving on to One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson. I read one of her other books and liked it pretty well, so we'll see. My "To Read" pile is enormous and just might fall over and crush me...
            Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

Purge by Sofi Oksanen. Not the most uplifting storyline, but a good read nonetheless.

Comment

Top Dog (same authors as "Nurture Shock"-good but not nearly as interesting)
                Tiny Beautiful Things (compendium of advice column entries)
                Trashy historical romance novel
                Sacred Contracts-Carolyn Myss

I'm on the verge of breaking down and trying Fifty Shades. I've been holding out because it just doesn't seem like my thing, but reading it feels inevitable.
                In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

This is also why you should always teach your housekeeper Morse code.
                  Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

Originally posted by LilySayWhat
                    and I'm always reading a Nancy Drew book on the back burner because I have read them countless times and love them. Currently I'm reading Clue in the Old Attic. Hint: Nancy will inevitably get struck with a blunt object or tied up and left to starve to death somewhere.
                    I love it! I actually have kind of wanted to re-read some of those great childhood books. I remember loving Boxcar Children and Little House on the Prairie. I was amazed that they could actually, like, have fun and eat delicious-sounding things given their lack of modern amenities. Cornhusk dolls have never topped my list of toys to play with but I mean you never know til you try.

sigpic

Comment

My dd went through a boxcar kids phase. (And nancy drew).

LSW I'm totally downloading some of those Alan Bradley books. I read the description and it's something I know is like.

I also love anything Alexander McCall smith. Especially Isabel Dalhousie books.
                      Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

I'm listening to a James Patterson Alex Cross on audio ( I always have an audio book in the car). I just bought "Consider the Fork a History of How We Cook and Eat" by Bee Wilson, after reading the book review in The New Yorker.
                        Luanne
                        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I'm on vacay (YAY!) and just read Divergent and am now on book #2, Insurgent. More YA dystopian shtuff. LOVE. Unfortunately, book #3 doesn't come out til October.

Putting Alan Bradley on the list for myself and DS . I still have not gotten around to Gone Girl. (or the 1000 other books on my list!)

Comment

How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk. Boring but effective so far.

The Magician King by Lev Grossman, at the behest of my husband so we can discuss it.

A sad state of reading affairs compared to ten years ago, but much better than five years ago.
                            Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                            Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                            Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Originally posted by BonBon View Post
                              I'm on vacay (YAY!) and just read Divergent and am now on book #2, Insurgent. More YA dystopian shtuff. LOVE. Unfortunately, book #3 doesn't come out til October.
                              I read those too and enjoyed them.
                              -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
                              Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
                              Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X