Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Slow cooker recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow cooker recipes

DH bought me an amazing slow cooker for Christmas, because I had mentioned months ago that I wanted to start cooking with one. So, I need some good, easy recipes. Anyone have any that are a home run in your households?

TIA!
    Married to a peds surgeon attending

I think there's an Indian chicken recipe on here somewhere that got a few good reviews.....

Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Any Ropa Vieja Recipe

This was really good:

http://laaloosh.ziplist.com/recipes/...nesian_Chicken
      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I'm not very advanced. I throw about half a dozen frozen chicken breasts and a bottle of good bbq sauce in the crock pot (my favorite is TJ's kansas city style), and let it cook all day. Eat the chicken with potatoes or couscous or shred up and put on sandwiches...super-easy.
        Sandy
        Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

This is a super yummy and easy roast - if the liquid doesn't cover the roast I flip the roast half way through just so it doesn't dry out.

http://zipth.is/@ztxvtw
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by poky View Post
            I'm not very advanced. I throw about half a dozen frozen chicken breasts and a bottle of good bbq sauce in the crock pot (my favorite is TJ's kansas city style), and let it cook all day. Eat the chicken with potatoes or couscous or shred up and put on sandwiches...super-easy.

I also do this with a pork roast or tenderloin - pretty much any meat and a bottle of BBQ sauce is yummy and easy!
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I also love sticking in the chicken breast With bbq sauce and then eat them on buns with fries.. Also you can throw salsa on the breasts instead and wa la, taco filling... Or I like a simple stew like this one: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooker-beef-stew-i/
              -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
              Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
              Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

You guys are awesome, thank you!!! This is so very helpful. I really don't enjoy cooking, so I am hopeful that I can create some awesome slow cooker dishes to add some variety for DH.

Comment

I'm making this tonight, in fact:

http://www.laaloosh.com/2012/03/13/c...ck-pot-recipe/
                  Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                  Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                  Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Originally posted by Auspicious View Post
                    How was it? I was just telling DH last night that I wanted a chicken stew recipe.

Comment

Once a month or so I go through the fridge and take any vegetables that are past their prime and throw them in with chicken broth and V8-Juice or canned tomatoes and spices and make a vegetable soup. When done I add pasta or rice.
                      Luanne
                      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

This one is a new favorite in our household. I tried it with both chicken and pork chops, both are delicious, but the pork chops were slightly better.
                        Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Originally posted by BonBon View Post
                          How was it? I was just telling DH last night that I wanted a chicken stew recipe.
                          The short answer: good.

I used thighs instead of breasts, added dried sage, added the peas at the last ten minutes, doubled the mushrooms and I wish I'd therefore used a little less broth, and, um, can't find the packet of seasoning they mention so I used half a can of cream of mushroom soup, which I acknowledge is a culinary crime against humanity. Also, I think last time I made it I browned the onions before adding, which was better.

So I guess that's a lot of changes, but I'll make it again.
                          Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                          Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                          Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

You guys, I am just not cut out for this. I just spent an hour preparing the pot roast to go in the slow cooker, and I cussed and cried (from the onions) the whole time. Ugh. I hope it turns out ok; we shall see in about 8 hours. I freaking hate cooking. But I love to bake, go figure. I am so weird.

Comment

Originally posted by weeniegeniewife View Post
                              You guys, I am just not cut out for this. I just spent an hour preparing the pot roast to go in the slow cooker, and I cussed and cried (from the onions) the whole time. Ugh. I hope it turns out ok; we shall see in about 8 hours. I freaking hate cooking. But I love to bake, go figure. I am so weird.
                              Oh no! What was hardest about it? Maybe we can help with some pointers for next time? If you're putting onion into a slow-cooker roast, you should only have to peel it and cut it into big chunks -- like quarters, or eights at the smallest. Onions really bother my eyes too... Sometimes I make DH do them since he wears contacts. Do you have a decent knife for chopping?
                              Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

Working...
                              X