Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Super Easy Indian Chicken

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You can riff on it any way you want. It's your kitchen. I use this spice mix as the base for my faux "chana masala" chickpeas, and sometimes if I'm running late I barely give the canned beans and tomatoes time to warm up before I serve them. But this is one of those dishes that people will tell you is "better the next day." Long simmering does develop the flavors a little better (as long as you don't overcook the chicken -- per America's Test Kitchen, I limit chicken in the slow cooker to 4-6 hours on LOW.) If you do want to slow cook, you could even start from dried beans. It's all good!
    Last edited by spotty_dog; 03-16-2017, 09:37 AM.
    Alison

Comment

• Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
      Still in the slow cooker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Yes, still in the slow cooker. I have been wanting to try this recipe in the pressure cooker. AND - yes to it being so much better the next day.
      Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

• The flavor was really good, but I'd probably do it differently next time. My chicken basically shredded, and I think it would have been better if it hadn't. So, I'd do it in the pressure cooker next time for maybe 10-15 minutes so I could get the chicken tender but not shredded. And I'd definitely use boneless meat, probably just boneless thighs, but maybe breast too. And I tried to just use whole milk, but I think it would have been better with the 1/2 and 1/2, or yogurt. I might leave the jalapeno out too, because I thought it was a really good amount of spice, but the kids currently won't eat anything even remotely spicy, so I'd make it milder for them.
        Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

• That was my plan with the yogurt. Good to know it works on the stovetop.

Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
          Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

• So I did this in the Instant Pot the other day, and it went much better. I left out the jalapeno, and I used boneless, skinless thighs (plus one breast). I also used plain Greek yogurt instead of cream. I did 15 minutes of high pressure with natural release, and it was cooked perfectly! Next time I might cut the cayenne too, because even though I thought the spice was good, the kids wouldn't eat it.
            Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

• I forgot to report back. I did it on the stovetop and simmered it for a while while the kids played. After an hour, I added 4 cans of chickpeas (in lieu of chicken). Simmered it for 20 mins longer.

We did not eat it that night to let the flavors meld. I did a big dollop of Greek yogurt and cilantro on top (no cream). Super delicious with quinoa and rice.

Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

• Originally posted by alotofyarn View Post
                So I did this in the Instant Pot the other day, and it went much better. I left out the jalapeno, and I used boneless, skinless thighs (plus one breast). I also used plain Greek yogurt instead of cream. I did 15 minutes of high pressure with natural release, and it was cooked perfectly! Next time I might cut the cayenne too, because even though I thought the spice was good, the kids wouldn't eat it.
                [MENTION=985]spotty_dog[/MENTION] Here's what I did.

Comment

• I still need to make this.

Comment

• Me too!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
                    Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                    Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

• One of the best recipes I have ever found "on line"!!!!! I have been vegetarian for the past two years and need to make it again without the meat, I'll try the chickpeas.
                      Luanne
                      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

• Someone should tell Jenn Patel that her recipe continues to be a great success here! I hope she is well!!

Kris

~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                        ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

• Originally posted by Meenah View Post
                          One of the best recipes I have ever found "on line"!!!!! I have been vegetarian for the past two years and need to make it again without the meat, I'll try the chickpeas.
                          I can vouch for its deliciousness with chickpeas!

Comment

• Do y'all use canned chickpeas?

Comment

• I have. They hold up fine to long simmering if you want the flavors to meld, but then the dish also turns out just fine if you only heat it long enough to warm everything. "Hummus beans on rice" (which isn't quite made from this recipe but I heavily drew from it to get the spices and flavor profile) has been one of my kids' favorite meals, and one of my favorite super-quick dishes on busy nights, since they weaned. O_O

But I'm seriously thinking of doing it from dried beans in the IP tonight. Except I'm out of ginger and dry chickpeas. Hrm.
                              Alison

Comment

• I used canned chickpeas for sure. I can't plan far enough ahead not to do so. But it is fine!

Comment

Working...
                                X