Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Clean rap artists?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clean rap artists?

My 10 year old is getting in to music and he's chosen rap as his favorite. I'm soooooo happy about this!

I do like some rap music, but I'm having trouble thinking of any totally "appropriate" artists to put on his tunes list. I'm not very strict - but the woman-hating, violence filled stuff isn't great for him. He listens to the lyrics - intently. I'm sure that's part of the charm for him. Again .

Any ideas for a playlist? His birthday is coming up and he's getting an IPOD base radio player in his room. (He's using my IPOD with his own playlists.)

He likes Grillz and that's OK with me. He also likes Eminem's Shake That - and that is NOT ok with me . I have some old school stuff and a little Will Smith. The other stuff I have (50 cent, etc) is not great for him, but I don't have much rap.

All suggestions will be appreciated!
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Thanks. He's unfortunately getting to the age (or stage) where's he's savvy about adults trying to manage his exposure. I'm afraid he'd not listen just because "it's for kids". I'm trying to be sneaky....by giving him real things that aren't too bad. I've downloaded the clean version of a lot of songs. He likes those, but sometimes with a rap song it gets ridiculous if they've beeped out everything. Then, he's asking "what did it say in that spot?"
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite

Comment

This may be a double post...
      Will Smith has a rep for being clean on his albums.

eta, ah, you already said WS.

Comment

Nelly - Air Force Ones

Sir Mix A Lot - Buttermilk Buiscuts

Sir Mix A Lot - Beepers

Sir Mix A Lot - Swass

Usher

Some of Ja Rule's stuff

and I have a call into my brother who is the rap know it all about what else may work....

Comment

Thanks!

I haven't listened to much Sir Mix a Lot beyond Baby's Got Back. :>
          Angie

Comment

Yeah, a lot of Sir Mix-a-Lot is about how cool it is to be a Seattlite. Please, do, corrupt your son to love the Northwest.

DH was really into rap in the 80s. That old-school stuff deals by and large with being the better rapper, being able to rap faster than the other guy, and such suitable if silly subjects. Flipping through his CDs and thinking of what I've heard on road trips, I'm 99% sure that Young MC is all clean, Will Smith when he was the Fresh Prince (with DJ Jazzy Jeff), MC Hammer.
            Alison

Comment

Originally posted by alison_in_oh
              Yeah, a lot of Sir Mix-a-Lot is about how cool it is to be a Seattlite. Please, do, corrupt your son to love the Northwest.

I love Baby's Got Back. Soooo motivational for a workout.

Vanilla Ice?

Comment

http://us.video.aol.com/video.index.adp ... excite.com
                ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

My Posse's on Broadway... Posse UP! - Sir Mix a Lot

Tone Loc

LL Cool J of old was good I dont know anything about his newer stuff

Beastie Boys

Comment

PLEASE check out "My Posse's On Broadway" (I am 98% sure it's appropriate but play through it first) from Sir Mix a Lot...

YES it is about Seattle and I WOULD KILL to take a stroll down Broadway right about now....but I won't hijack.

Bell Biv Devoe (sp?) has SOME appropriate stuff ("BBD" for short)

Boyz to Men has some rap ....

New Edition might be too tame for him...but maybe not they have some rap in their songs

Boogey Down Productions (way old school)

early Run DMC has some clean stuff

EARLY Beastie Boys (listen first though) has some stuff that isn't too bad

I'll think of more later but this is a good start....

I second Usher...heck that boy can MOVE!!!!!!!! WHOO WHEE!!!
                    Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Originally posted by Flynn
                      I second Usher...heck that boy can MOVE!!!!!!!! WHOO WHEE!!!
                      rockin' bod!!!and he has a
                      ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Working...
                      X