Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Low energy people vs. high energy people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low energy people vs. high energy people

My resident hubby and I were having this conversation today, because he was complaining about always being exhausted from residency, never feeling like he has satisfying sleep, and always feeling worn down and exhausted so he doesn't feel he does a good job on studying or having fun.

This led me to think about the question of low energy people vs. high energy people. Which one are you? I am definitely low energy. I tend to gravitate toward low energy activities, such as watching movies, the computer, etc. rather than going out and doing something active, like working out, etc. I once dated a guy who was totally high energy. He was always on the go, couldn't stand to sit still, and would be unable to sit and read a book for a couple of hours, or do anything that involved sitting in one place for awhile without doing something else.

Some of DH's resident friends get up early in the morning (like at 4 am) and work out, or work out after work, and then have the energy to go out on the town. I would never have the energy to do that. In fact, I find I often don't have the energy to do the things I want to do, like clean the apartment after work. I'm just too tired. I've always been like this, ever since high school.

I also like to sleep a lot--10-12 hours to feel my best--and take a lot of naps. My hubby is exactly the same way. Personally, I feel that in terms of energy levels, in relationships, opposites do not attract.

I think I fall somewhere in the middle. I like working out in the mornings because I like not working out after work, but I can only stick to that schedule if I've had a solid 7 hours of sleep the night before. I can sit and read or veg out in front of the tv, but I also compete in endurance events and really enjoy the training. On Fridays, I enjoy a good happy hour that may or may not end up being a night out on the town (again, depends on the amount of sleep I had the night before and whether or not there's an unfinished project waiting for me at home). Saturday night is date night or, when SO is on call, girls night out (or in). I'm among the first to leave these days, but I make to the AM hours.

Comment

Either DH is high energy and I am low energy, or he is WAY high energy and I am sorta high energy. When I get a bee in my bonnet, I can really get stuff done......but I don't get a bee in my bonnet that often. DH, on the other hand, finds it hard to sit still even after he has worked a 12 hour day.......when he is on "vacation", he wears me out!

Sally
      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

I think it's pretty safe to say that I can be considered low-energy since my favorite hobby has always been napping. I do like to get outside and exercise or work in the yard, though, just as long as I am feeling well-rested. And since having a child, I am becoming more of a high-energy type...I guess I need to be in order to get anything done with an infant in the house. DH is definitely high-energy...he can work a 12-14 hour night shift and then go right out and play a round of golf...or two...and then come home and still have energy to play with our son...so that I can take a nap.

Comment

I'm more hyper than my husband, that's for sure. I can't sit still, I can't just watch TV or read. I get seven projects going at once and then flit from one to the next. Eventually everything gets done but it takes me all day.

J.

PS- although a good nap is always an option!

Comment

Definitely high-energy here. Even while getting fragmented sleep at night and no napping during the day, I still manage to exercise every day, do all of the housework, and take care of the little guy. Sure, I'm exhausted by the end of the day, but I love the feeling of having things be 'done'.
            ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
            -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

I am totally a napper! I'm totally low energy. I need at least 7 hours sleep and I could still nap every afternoon when the kids go down. DF is the more high energy one. He can't sit still. Things that I could do all day, like lay on a beach bore him to tears.

Comment

We're the poster family for hyperactivity, although DH is much worse than me. DH needs about 6 hours of sleep at night, period. I need at least 8.5 but I go, go, go during the day. DS gets frequent comments about his energy levels. DD looks like she is going in the same direction as the rest of us.

Kelly
                In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

We're both high-energy people here. Though when we met DH was extremely low energy. His parents are still shocked at how much he has changed since we've been together. He used to just sit and watch TV all of the time....and be outside - I don't think so! Run? Only if someone was chasing him! Now we both prefer to be outside (except in the humid Texas summers but that will be changing soon) and doing something, or inside and doing something that doesn't involve sitting still. DH can get by with just 5 hours of sleep while I need about 8.5 to maintain my pace.
                  Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

Working...
                  X