Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Ear tubes, adenoidectomy for a toddler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adenoidectomy

Peggy,

We've not experienced an adenoidectomy, but we have had a few minor surgeries in the last several years. Our most recent surgery was when Alex had a hernia removed. He was only 2 or 3? at the time (wow, time sure flies) and so I didn't really tell him about it until the day before because he was so young and I didn't want to frighten him. I packed a bag with his favorite toys and books and I told him that the doctor was going to take the 'ball out of his tummy" (and I bought a special bouncy ball that I gave him later for him to play with...he still thinks that it came from his tummy ).

For the most part, I found that the peds nurses were really good about things and they tend to respect your boundaries if you just nicely let them know what it is that you need. In the pre-op holding, Alex got to put on a cool gown and then watch videos. They gave him some oral medication to make him really sleepy....and we made a big game out of it. I told him some of his favorite stories and he got really droopy. Starting a line then was pretty uneventul....for stitches and things like iv lines, I have a special story that I tell my kids (even my 8 year old still wants to hear it when he gets a stitch or goes to the dentist). It's about a little boy named Mr. Bubble who wakes up before his mom and runs and picks out his favorite color bubble gum...then he chews it, blows a bubble and floats out his window....the color of the bubble gum dictates the particular adventure that he has. The whole visual thing and me telling it in a soft voice is distracting to them. The result: It takes less time to find a vein because they aren't wiggling around as much....the more they wiggle and cry, the harder it is for them and the staff. I try and stay as calm and relaxed as possible and talk to my children so that they know that I'm standing by them and am supporting them.

I also always make the choice to stay in the room, even if I'm asked to leave. This is...uncomfortable for some staff members, but I try and stay out of the way and talk or sing to my child. I don't interfere with what's going on because I think it upsets things more...but just having me there as a calming influence relaxes my children. Sometimes procedures are uncomfotable or painful and it is hard to find a vein...that's life....

I do try and educate myself about issues though to make some judgements on my own. ie..when Alex was 5 1/2 weeks old he went in for an appt. and had a temp of 99.0 and they recommended a spinal tap because babies under 6 weeks shouldn't have any type of fever and it could have been a result of meningitis...if it had been my first I would have probably had it done...but I declined and decided to wait 24 hours and watch him carefully. He was fine....and was 98.6 two hours later.....so there are times when I do allow my own judgement to prevail...

You can do this, Peggy....you and your little guy will be just fine...and the payoff will hopefully be immediate for him. I hope that he gets to feeling better soon.

Btw..a mustard allergy??? Wow....that will be a real challenge. Maybe they have a way to desensitize him to this?

KRis
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Thanks Everyone! Kris I like your story- I may use that someday! I will most definitely try to stay in the room with him until he's asleep at least. He has really intense separation anxiety even in a familiar setting (such as a church nursery ) so I can't imagine how traumatized he'd be to be left alone with strangers in a hospital! We have no choice as to what hospital we go to, since there is only one that our insurance accepts here in our town. But whenever I've been to that hospital it's been reasonable and I don't anticipate problems, although during the pre-op I will ask many questions, to be sure.

About the mustard allergy, we are really hopeful that he will outgrow it! Some poeple say kids outgrow allergies when their immune systems mature a bit. Our doc says not to expose him to mustard until he's at least 3. We're trying! So far so good! At that point, I think we'll get another blood test done to see if he's still allergic. Fingers crossed till then. I really love mustard! Have you eaten a hamburger, sandwich, hot dog, pretzal WITHOUT it??? The good news for me is that my husband and I are going to a Mariners game without children in April and I'm gonna make sure to get my mustard fix.

Thanks for all the input. You all are making me feel more informed about this process already!

Peggy
      Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Just an update- Stevie had the surgery done yesterday and although he was very groggy for about 4 hours afterwards, he is amazingly "normal" right now. He slept well yesterday for his nap and slept through the night without any problems! Thanks to everyone for the advice and words of encouragement! Glad to be through this trial!

Peggy
        Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Working...
        X