Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

MDFamily News

Collapse

The international Medical Spouse Network is the leading online community for the spouses of medical students, residents and attending physicians.

•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Go to Medical School and Get Paid For It by Jennifer Hussey

The Military Branches need physicians for the armed forces personnel and their families. The branches that have physicians are Army, Navy and Air Force; the Marines and the Coast Guard are cared for by Navy physicians. There are two ways to become a military medical doctor. The first is to go to the military’s own medical school, Uniformed Services University, which is located on the grounds of the Bethesda Naval Medical Center near Washington, DC. All three branches are taught at USU by pers...
    See more | Go to post

• Life on the Other End of the Pager by Kris Math

It was nearly midnight when the phone finally rang. Though my husband, Thomas, had paged the oncologist only 5 minutes earlier, it felt like we had waited much longer for him to call us back. As I sat on the sofa listening to Thomas describe my symptoms, I couldn’t help but wonder what was happening in the oncologist’s house that night. Was his wife sitting next to him annoyed that another patient had interrupted a perfectly good evening? Were they watching a good movie or lying in bed sleeping?...
    See more | Go to post

• The Doctor is In ... All the Time by Jennifer Patel

Time. When it comes right down to it, the medical relationship is all about time. At first it’s the kind of time that seems like it will never end. Medical school (don’t forget almost interminable route of MD/PhD chosen by some), intern year, residency — hey — why not tack on a few research years and we might as well do a fellowship while we’re here. God forbid someone chooses to change a specialty along the way. Best-case scenario you’re looking at 7 years (after college). Worst-case...
    See more | Go to post

• Medical School in the Caribbean…is it right for your family? by Sylvia Siegel

There I was, sitting on a cramped plane holding my son, then two and a half months old. My husband and I were talking excitedly. We couldn’t wait to get there. What would it be like? How hot is it going to be? Will the locals embrace us? Are we going to survive the journey? We had been up for 38 hours or more the day before. I lost track eventually. My mom picked all of us up, dog included at the hotel in Vermont. We drove for a few hours packed to the gills in our car. As soon as we got th...
    See more | Go to post

• The Great Balancing Act by Kelly Barnett

The majority of women with children work outside the home. Although working outside the home can be both rewarding and fulfilling for the entire family, the hectic pace can wreak havoc on the nerves. However, a few minor modifications can help integrate family life with professional endeavors.

*Plan ahead, part 1. Let’s face it, the daily life of the average working mom is filled with plenty of stressors: sibling rivalry, lost toys, ear infections, project deadlines, technology
    See more | Go to post

• When the Black Clouds Roll In by Angela DeBernardo

I’m sure she didn’t expect more than antibiotics when she went to the ER last month. It was her second visit. At her first a few weeks earlier, she had been diagnosed with a UTI. Now, she had lower abdominal pain that wouldn’t go away. This time, they pulled out the big guns – she got a CT and the worst news of her young life. In the next few weeks, she would have surgery, receive two types of chemotherapy and travel in and out of the ICU. At the month’s end, she was dead at 25....
    See more | Go to post

• The Five Rules of Bargain Shopping

The Five Rules of Bargain Shopping

By Julie Muchnick

Never pay full price! The majority of retailers, especially large chains, rotate their merchandise several times a season. Each holiday brings on a new wave of sales. So remember when you find yourself absolutely loving an item from the new collection, chances are it will be on sale in a few months or even weeks. The key to this rule is to check your favorite stores often enoug...
    See more | Go to post

• His Brilliant Career ... Will it Always Outshine Yours? by Kris Math

This weekend, my husband and I went out for a rare dinner alone. As luck would have it, we ran into one of his patients while waiting to be seated. “Your husband walks on water”, the woman declared to me. “You must be very special for him to have picked you”. I let the comment sink in. To say that I was amused is an understatement. It took every ounce of self-control that I have not to laugh out loud. Yes, I thought sarcastically, how lucky I am that he….chose me. My husband, of cour...
    See more | Go to post

• Surviving the Holidays during Residency by Kristen Math

Christmas in our house always ends up looking more like a National Lampoons holiday than a TLC special. This tradition probably dates back to our first family Christmas. Our son was only two weeks old and I had invited my German in-laws over for a traditional American Christmas dinner. Any reasonable person would have realized that two weeks post-partum probably was not the time to put together a holiday celebration for their in-laws. I, however, suffer from chronic ‘hallmark-itis’. This affliction...
    See more | Go to post

• BaHumBug! When Call Schedules Interfere with Family Celebrations by Kristen Math

The snow is gently falling outside of the frosted windows. The Christmas music is playing softly in the background and you are sitting by the rolling fire drinking hot chocolate and making homemade quilts for your closest friends….or so the commercials go. Back here on planet earth, the rest of us are busily trying to prepare for another stressful season of holiday parties, gift giving and ‘call’. Instead of enjoying the festivities, each year many people succumb to feelings of depression...
    See more | Go to post
There are no articles in this category.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
Please log in to your account to view your subscribed posts.

article_tags

Collapse

There are no tags yet.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• And Now a Word From ... the Dawkter's Wife by Jennifer Hussey
    by DCJenn
    The scene: It’s Valentine’s Day. You look around, and once again your spouse is gone. Your choice: Feel sorry for yourself and wallow in your misery or take the opportunity to tell yourself that you deserve to celebrate yourself. Here are a few suggestions for giving yourself the Valentine’s Day you deserve. One of the first things that the commercials remind you about for Valentine’s Day is jewelry: Diamonds, pearls, precious stones, gold, silver, platinum. Sure you deserv...
    01-12-2011, 08:05 AM
  • The Five Rules of Bargain Shopping
    by PrincessFiona

By Julie Muchnick

Never pay full price! The majority of retailers, especially large chains, rotate their merchandise several times a season. Each holiday brings on a new wave of sales. So remember when you find yourself absolutely loving an item from the new collection, chances are it will be on sale in a few months or even weeks. The key to this rule is to check your favorite stores often enoug...
    11-12-2010, 03:27 PM
  • BaHumBug! When Call Schedules Interfere with Family Celebrations by Kristen Math
    by PrincessFiona
    The snow is gently falling outside of the frosted windows. The Christmas music is playing softly in the background and you are sitting by the rolling fire drinking hot chocolate and making homemade quilts for your closest friends….or so the commercials go. Back here on planet earth, the rest of us are busily trying to prepare for another stressful season of holiday parties, gift giving and ‘call’. Instead of enjoying the festivities, each year many people succumb to feelings of depression...
    02-23-2010, 04:31 PM
  • Hurry Up and Hurry Up by Kristen Math
    by PrincessFiona
    I’ve been told that I talk faster than most people can listen. It’s even been suggested that my cartoon ‘alter ego’ is the Tasmanian Devil. Like Taz, I can be almost frenzied in my activity when I am ‘crazy busy’…a state I put myself in on a regular basis. Honestly, this flurry of activity has always felt quite comfortable to me. I enjoy the hectic pace. My energy level has served me well through years of my husband’s residency training, raising small children and g...
    02-23-2010, 03:58 PM
  • Surviving Residency by Kristen Math
    by PrincessFiona
    As we prepare for my husband to finish residency and move on to fellowship, I am trying to soak up every last memory that I can.? I find myself wanting to memorize the landscape. I relish the conversations with friends and have bought more in the last two weeks (when I am trying to get rid of stuff to move) than I have in three years. Saying goodbye to friends leaves me choking back unexpected tears. Nostalgia is winning. What a paradox, when you consider how miserable I was my first year her...
    02-23-2010, 03:55 PM
  • When School Hurts: Coping with Playground Bullies by Kristen Math
    by PrincessFiona
    I heard the muffled sobs ascending up the stairs. The kids had been home from school for a half an hour and after eating a snack they had all gone their separate ways to color, play outside or read. I put down the laundry basket that I was carrying and walked down into the dining room. My ten year old son was sitting with his back to me. His shoulders heaved up and down; his face was buried in his hands. Within a few minutes, the story came spilling out. Children in his class had picked on him throughout...
    02-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Working...
X