Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What does Lamb taste like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does Lamb taste like?

Dh has said he wants to try lamb? I am just not sure about this, what does it taste like?

He also wants either goose or duck for Christmas dinner... I am from a house where you have ham. So I am lost
    Brandi
    Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Lamb is yummy! I think taste wise, if I was going to compare it to something I would head towards steak. But thats just my opinion. As for duck, the only duck Ive had is peking duck at a chinese restaurant. I would compare it to dark meat of a chicken, but different... sorry this is probably not helpful at all. Again, this is my uneducated palate opinion. Good luck!
    -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
    Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
    Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

I'm not sure how to describe the taste. I am not a huge lamb-fan because frequently it tastes too "sheepy", sort-of gamey. But the 4H kids' lamb that I had once (my family won it during a county fair silent auction) was AMAZING. Good luck.

I rarely eat duck because I used to raise them, and I always think of their cute little webbed duckling feet... but DH loves duck. Goose, I have no idea!

Let me know what you end up going for.
      Last edited by scrub-jay; 12-13-2009, 07:04 PM.
      Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal View Post
        I'm not sure how to describe the taste. I am not a huge lamb-fan because frequently it tastes too "sheepy", sort-of gamey. But the 4H kids' lamb that I had once (my family won it during a county fair silent auction) was AMAZING. Good luck.
        Ditto. The texture is a lot like pork, but is gamey.
        married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I've only had lamb in gyro form, and then it's quite yummy. I've never been brave enough for a chop.

I've had roast duck, and don't like it. Too greasy.

Comment

I'm not a huge fan of lamb. FIL cooks it (and goose) quite often. The latter is very fatty.

The other night we had beef tongue -- and it was shaped like... the cross section of a tongue. It had papillae and you could see the taste buds. Holy smokes. I got a serious case of the giggles and told the waitress "I'm sorry - I can't do it."
            married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Not a big lamb fan--I agree it tastes gamey
              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I don't really eat lamb because I can't get past the smell. Ugh.

Duck is really fatty, but the taste of it is not too bad.

Honestly, I would make the ham and buy like a small duck breast or piece of lamb for your DH. Either that or just make duck or lamb and load up on the sides.
                Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

I also don't like lamb - DH says its because I used to raise them but really I just don't like the texture. I'm not sure that gamey is the right adjective because I like game like rabbits and venison but its just different, helpful, huh?
                  Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I love me some lamb in any form! I would also lean towards the steak-ish side, but more gamey. Friends of ours would invite us over for Greek Orthodox Easter - and they would do a whole lamb on a spit! I do ground lamb pita-pockets with a yogurt-sauce a couple times a year. I did a leg of lamb for Easter a while ago, too. Mom hates lamb, dad loves it, DH is indifferent!

I would say that if your DH wants to try it, order it from a restaurant...as far as duck and goose - I'm at a loss! We're having scallops for Christmas Day and prime rib for the Eve.
                    Jen
                    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Lamb is great- if you like lamb. I'm not sure there's much to compare it to, except maybe goat and it's way better than goat.

The "lamb" taste varies by which part of the lamb you're cooking. Some parts are far more 'gamey' than others. My husband would eat lamb chops every day for the rest of his life- lambsicles he calls them. (maybe three-four bites per chop)

I had lamb shank for Thanksgiving and it was great but a much stronger taste than the chop.

Now, goose- goose and duck are both dark meat birds- more comparible in taste and texture to the dark meat parts of the turkey. Even their breast meat is more like dark turkey meat.

The very best way to cook either of them is raised off the roasting pan, so that the grease has a place to go. When my husband is gorging himself on lamb, I'm lining up for duck and goose. Goose is great when it's cooked right- but if it's not, you're looking at a seriously greasy piece of bird.

Suzanne cooks a lot of lamb so hopefully she'll see this and chime in.

and mmmm, ground lamb burgers in a pita w/ a yogurt sauce and mint- YUM.

Jenn

Comment

I love lamb.. Hard to describe, but I love it.
                        Luanne
                        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Okay so we have decided on duck. Any good recipes or tips?
                          Brandi
                          Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Check out Barbara Kafka's Roasting for tips on duck. I think you boil or simmer the duck for a while to get a lot of the fat off the duck before roasting -- less fatty and less messy. You could also do a duck breast instead of the whole duck.

Comment

It's hard to describe, but a stronger flavor than beef. I believe that it is difficult to prepare it well. Try it in a restaurant, first, I agree.

This summer at the state fair we went to the lamb producers' food stand. My son had roast lamb sandwich, and lamb jerky, my daughter and I had walking tacos made with gound lamb, so it was spicy, but very good. The kind of sick part was that the stand was just outside the sheep/lamb barns and you could hear them bleating in there. My son pointed that out, and how that was kind of unappetizing. Me, I grew up on a farm with cattle and pigs, so it didn't bother me. I'm definitely not a vegetarian. and I like to try lots of different kinds of meat.

Oops, I missed that you had already decided on duck. NEVER MIND!

Duck is tasty, too!

Comment

Working...
                              X